Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

omg expensive!!! do i even have everything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default omg expensive!!! do i even have everything?

bought a cam for like $220 and im like cool this is cheap to do a cam swap. looked at the springs and stuff, cool its like $290. started adding everything up and im now up to about $1300!!!!! not including the cam either!! and no tune!! lol heres my list:

Patriot Gold duals, titanium retainers, seats, seals, super7 locks $295
Timing chain $89
Gaskets $35
Chromemoly pushrods $109
Ls6 intake $310

thats the parts i have now, i still need to get the rest:
ls6 oil pump $125
asp pulley w/belts and bolt $240
misc fluids, oil change, bolts, tools, ~$100

total ~$1303

am i missing anything?

i know the asp pulley and intake are not required, i just want to get the most i can out of cam only and might as well do it all at once. but even without those its still $800 plus the $220 i paid for the cam, then $500 for a tune, then i know im gonna need a new clutch. UGGGH ssoo expensive, but worth it i guess. so the total will be like $2000 after everything is done then i still need the clutch and gears too. how much did everyone else spend?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:24 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, doing a cam swap right the first time aint cheap. i did all those when i did my firsts swap with the tr230. you can "get by" with less as you already stated but im not a fan of that route.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget rockerarms
so far i have cam, rockers, springs, gears, that's about it. i have around 1300 wraped up in that. and i still need pushrods, ported pump, gaskets, and timing chain.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rons 00z
dont forget rockerarms
so far i have cam, rockers, springs, gears, that's about it. i have around 1300 wraped up in that. and i still need pushrods, ported pump, gaskets, and timing chain.
maan im not even gonna mess with getting new rockers unless i need it, then im gonna get some like yella terras or something which would really jack up the price.

yeah i think i may have to back out of the asp pulley cuz this is too much and i wont be able to install this by my deadline of a couple weeks. grrrrr.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hourang
maan im not even gonna mess with getting new rockers unless i need it, then im gonna get some like yella terras or something which would really jack up the price.

yeah i think i may have to back out of the asp pulley cuz this is too much and i wont be able to install this by my deadline of a couple weeks. grrrrr.
You do not need to replace your rockers...stock rockers do a fine job...Mike Brown was running stockers in his Twin Turbo car hitting roughly 750rwhp with no problems. Some people replace them just to say they have Yella Terra's, Comps, Harlan Sharps or whatever...however, don't forget new gaskets.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin 276
You do not need to replace your rockers...stock rockers do a fine job...Mike Brown was running stockers in his Twin Turbo car hitting roughly 750rwhp with no problems. Some people replace them just to say they have Yella Terra's, Comps, Harlan Sharps or whatever...however, don't forget new gaskets.
yeah i know thats what i mean i am not even gonna mess with it unless i need new ones like if i find that the bearings are bad or something.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:40 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

We have our new pulley in stock for 195 Thats a little cheaper
Old 07-29-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

my cam install with a dyno tune and tax is going to come to $2500.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my cam and March UD pulley last weekend. The total for the TSP cam, Patriot duals and all the other good stuff was 717.94 to my door, that's gaskets and everything. Another 209.99 for the pulley and both belts from Thunder. The tune at Tea is coming up on this Mon, and will be around the $400 range, maybe a little less, I'm sure glad I do my own wrenching or this modding could get really painful on the ole wallet.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is an old saying among racers......speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?........ain't it the truth.......I know I can't afford to go as fast as I want to go.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Z
There is an old saying among racers......speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?........ain't it the truth.......I know I can't afford to go as fast as I want to go.
AMEN

5700 into it... and all i wanted to do was have a decent daily driver
Old 07-30-2004, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

I'm looking at $974.96, not including Dexcool, oil, and oil filter.

--TR Camp-D w/ dual springs and 224/224 112 LSA, tit. retainers, seals, etc.
--JPR Cam Installation Tool (yup, decided to just buy the tool)
--2 bottles of Purple Ice
--8 TR-55s

Add another $40.00 for the "Larry Tool." $1014.96
Old 07-30-2004, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
I'm looking at $974.96, not including Dexcool, oil, and oil filter.

--TR Camp-D w/ dual springs and 224/224 112 LSA, tit. retainers, seals, etc.
--JPR Cam Installation Tool (yup, decided to just buy the tool)--2 bottles of Purple Ice
--8 TR-55s

Add another $40.00 for the "Larry Tool." $1014.96
You could use that money somewhere else. 2 5/16 rods (6 inches longer than cam) and you are in business for less than $10.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

I know you're right PZ, but the upside is that I won't have to run down some 5/16" rods, as well as having to grind a flat surface on them. I doubt this will be my one and only cam swap, especially when I upgrade my rearend. The JPR tool has handles which are nice, and the handles indicate where the flat surface is. I'm a tool nut anyway, and the JPR fits in my budget okay. I decided against a new oil pump (next cam swap) since my stock oil pump works great, and the car only has 13k on it. Also, on my first cam swap, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, and the prospect of wrestling with the oil pump doesn't appeal to me, next time. Aside from a new oil pump and chain, I think this package is pretty complete. Agreed?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue2002SS
my cam install with a dyno tune and tax is going to come to $2500.
yeah i heard cam install prices were outragious, where you get yours done?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
We have our new pulley in stock for 195 Thats a little cheaper
yeah i know you guys rock, i just ordered all that crap from trevor, but i factored in new belts and bolt also, it was kinda a put the max i will pay kinda thing, im still on the search for a used one.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Predator
I know you're right PZ, but the upside is that I won't have to run down some 5/16" rods, as well as having to grind a flat surface on them. I doubt this will be my one and only cam swap, especially when I upgrade my rearend. The JPR tool has handles which are nice, and the handles indicate where the flat surface is. I'm a tool nut anyway, and the JPR fits in my budget okay. I decided against a new oil pump (next cam swap) since my stock oil pump works great, and the car only has 13k on it. Also, on my first cam swap, I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, and the prospect of wrestling with the oil pump doesn't appeal to me, next time. Aside from a new oil pump and chain, I think this package is pretty complete. Agreed?
if its in your budget then its cool, saves time making those things. the rods will have handles as well, you just bend it at the end. yeah with 13k i wouldnt even bother with the pump or chain yet, save a lot of time on the install. as for being complete, i would add some pushrods to that list. with the double springs, higher lift, reving past 6k and everything you dont want to bend a pushrod. its not required and you can always do it next time, but its better safe than sorry, imo.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to LG motorsports in texas his price for a cam install with all the parts was $2395 but that does include all labor and the best parts possible and a dyno tune. but then add on tax and it comes to almost $2500
Old 07-30-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blue2002SS
I am going to LG motorsports in texas his price for a cam install with all the parts was $2395 but that does include all labor and the best parts possible and a dyno tune. but then add on tax and it comes to almost $2500
your in michigan and your going to texas to get a cam put in? isnt that like $1,000+ for the install price? i think these places charge too much, i would rather install it myself anyday over paying that much.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hourang
if its in your budget then its cool, saves time making those things. the rods will have handles as well, you just bend it at the end. yeah with 13k i wouldnt even bother with the pump or chain yet, save a lot of time on the install. as for being complete, i would add some pushrods to that list. with the double springs, higher lift, reving past 6k and everything you dont want to bend a pushrod. its not required and you can always do it next time, but its better safe than sorry, imo.
I agree 100% Jeff. TR didn't have Crane Duals in stock, so I went with Comp 918s instead. The cam package comes with pushrods; I think mine are bent right now.

Glad to hear your assurance that my stock oil pump is probably okay.

Your list looks pretty complete, good parts too.

Good luck on the install!