Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, another LM question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Heman Pimp Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, another LM question

hey guys, I was thinking about getting SLP's Loudmouth (I know people beat this subject dead) but I was wondering, if I was to get SLP LT's and the SLP Y-Pipe, would the loudmouth still have the ugly sound everyone has mentioned?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yess, you'll be accustomed to rasp and drone unless your run some cats with that SLP Y-pipe. also just because you get SLP LM doesnt mean you need SLP LT's/Y to go with it. other better options are available . look into the TSP rumbler over the LM as well.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Heman Pimp Daddy

lol I was warned about you and I believe I get a cookie if I take care of you. But anyways is the TSP rumbler a good flowing exhaust? (Well with the SLP LT/Pipe)

Or since I live in Naperville, do you think it would be better to go with the FLP Kit since it is located only a short distance away.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

the TSP rumbler is basically dynomouth which in turn is basically LM w/ a dynomax bullit. which helps "fix" the short commings of the LM setup. whats your reasoning behind the SLP LT's/Y, or are you under the impression that the SLP setup is "better" then the rest. if you have the budget for SLP's then get kooks/qtp's and either there catted or ORY and the TSP rumbler. the FLP kit is good if you need cats for an emissions purpose, then you can switch out to the off-road pipes after the test.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Heman Pimp Daddy

Well, one of my buddies with a 98 T/A has the LM and I love the sound of it, and I was under the assumption that the SLP parts would be mated to the LM. Sorry if this sounds ignorant, I am new to this. And I live in IL and I think the emmisons is pretty strick here, and FLP is close by.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

your under the wrong assumption, all LT's/Y's will bolt up to the LM. the LM I-pipe is 3" and tappered at the Y pipe connection to fit. SLP doesnt have some magical connection. also whats your friends full exhaust setup? LM changes drastically with the addition of LT's and the removal of cats as compared to a stock manifold and cat setup. i'd still run the setup i already stated; kooks/qtp, catted/ORY, and TSP rumbler.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Heman Pimp Daddy

He just has the LM at the moment, no headers or pipe
Old 07-29-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldnt recomend the LM to anyone and I had it for a long time. Its actually one of two mods I regret buying. Good riddence to bad resonance.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a LM with my catted y and logtubes frm QTP I don't undersand what the proble everyone as with the sound, it's loud for sure, but I really don't see a rasp problem. Of course, when I get into the motor more, I'll be upgrading to a 4inch over the axle pipe, and y that into 2-3 inch pipes, and a nice set of tips. Muffler, hell no! Strait pipe baby! Basicially all I have now anyways, after removing the pipe prior to the resonater to fit the qtp y pipe in. Everyone that hears the car is impressed, and the ricers run for cover after they get a rev thrown back at them, I haven't been annoyed having to waste one since the install, the massive sound saves me the trouble.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats because you have CATS.
Stock manifolds + CATS + LM = Rasp
Headers + no CATS+ LM = Rasp
LT + CATS + LM = No Rasp
I loved the sound of my LM AFTER I installed my LT's.
JMO.
Paul
Old 07-29-2004, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I bought the loud mouth before the SLP Ypipe and the exaust would kinda get annoying around 1750-2000rpm in overdrive. I added the ypipe later and it quieted that range down some so it isn't to bad now. It also seemed to quiet the exaust down some too. I heard another guy with the loud mouth and stock Ypipe and it seemed a little louder. I still like the sound of the exaust and have people tell me how they like the sound of it too.

I got a question for JL ws-6. How much louder is your loudmouth with headers compared to having the stock manifold and loudmouth? I am thinking of going with this setup but wondered of the loudness.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Race your car!

It's alot louder. the increase of the loudmouth at idle over stock, you get almost that much again at idle. The more you are on it, the louder it gets. It's not open headers, but if you ran a strait pipe off the header out the back, it would probably sound the same.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the sound of my loudmouth with longtubes + cats. Gets lots of compliments and even makes a few mustang owners jealous. Screams like a nascar from 5500-6600.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Race your car!

It's the closest sounding thing to a stock car without actually being in one. How anyone could not like that is beyond me
Old 07-30-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

same here, mine screams like a nascar any time I jump on it.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by atljcope03
Mine's the same way. I do have rasp but it's only at 2700rpms and for some reason if you actually drive at that engine then you're doing nothing but wasting gas. At 6000 rpms the sound is AMAZING with headers.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by atljcope03

Love my LM, Can't keep my foot out of it.

You have to realize though, it's not for everyone. Definitely at the very least listen to lots of www.ls1sounds.com sound files and if at all possible to to great lengths to ride in a car that has a LM on it before you lay down cash.

What I call the sweet sound of 300+hp purring along on the interstate, others call a deafening "drone"... everyone's got their own opinion.

What I call a sharp "Crack of the throttle", others call a "raspy sound"...

Another thing I love about the LM is the "Backwrap", something I haven't had in an exhaust system since my 1980 Z28... Others probably call this backfiring.

It's all opinion. Just make sure that YOUR opinion matches the facts of the product before you buy!!!

In the next couple of weeks I'll be buying a new video capture card, and I'll be posting some wicked videos on ls1sounds.com of my LM in action... Probably of it starting cold, because it backwraps real nice until the CAT warms up, then less when it's warmed up, then getting on it on the street next to a 'Filming Vehicle' on the street, and then probably of me doing some 'figure-8's and stuff in the back of the parking lot at work. Should sound pretty cool with the motor roaring, the pipes screaming, and the tires screeching!!!

Paul 'X'
Old 08-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Launching!

i think my setup sounds great unless you are in the 2100-2600 range (which sounds like an old truck racking off its cherry pipes). Yet it sounds mean as hell at WOT and very annoying when cruising at 75 on the highway. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Teching In

i like the "backwrap" as you call it, when you first start it up with LM it sounds like a backfire when you give it a little gas, but goes away after a few seconds, i think its cool as hell, but thats just my opinion. for those who want a badass exhaust that sounds pist off as hell, get LM. Never get rid of your cats if your useing it. TSP has a catted y pipe that is great, that and some LT's and you will sound like a damn nascar. If thats what your going for.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK... I love this question...
I had SLP LT's and SLP ORY and SLP LM - I drove the car 0.4mi before I thought it was the worst exhaust ever! Now having said that, I tried my stock catback - too quiet, BUT STILL HAD RASP. I now have a Magnaflow catback and the car sounds great, BUT STILL HAVE RASP. No matter what you do, you are going to get rasp without cats. I like my LM when it was my ONLY MOD. Only reason I went with a full style muffler cat back, was for interior drone. The Magnaflow cured all interior noise and still SCREAMS at WOT! My $0.02