Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-ring with MLS gasket and copper oring??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-ring with MLS gasket and copper oring??

I've read that the GM MLS gasket does not work well with stainless stell o-rings but what about a copper o-ring when using this gasket?

-Sly
Old 07-30-2004, 08:29 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to run a copper or a graphite gasket when running O-Rings. The o-ring depresses into the gasket which pushes the gasket into the receiver groove in the head. If you have a MLS gasket that will not happen.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking that using a copper o-ring on the block surface(grooved for o-rings) the actual o-ring would compress against a mls gasket. If not then how would a copper o-ring work against a copper gasket or graphite gasket as compared to stainless steel?

-Sly
Old 08-01-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running a stainless o-ring on the heads with the older graphite 6.0 gaskets on my 6.0 engine/6.0 heads. Not sure what you could run in a 5.7 though. I was told not to run the MLS gaskets with o-rings. Copper gaskets will probably leak coolant (ask me how I know).
Old 08-01-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the input guys I'm going to try copper o-ring with GM 6.0L MLS gaskets.

-Sly
Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slyws6
Thanx for the input guys I'm going to try copper o-ring with GM 6.0L MLS gaskets.

-Sly
Why the MLS gaskets???
Old 08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slyws6
I was thinking that using a copper o-ring on the block surface(grooved for o-rings) the actual o-ring would compress against a mls gasket. If not then how would a copper o-ring work against a copper gasket or graphite gasket as compared to stainless steel?

-Sly
I think your going to run into disaster.

The o-ring doesnt compress against the gasket. The o-ring pushes the gasket up into the receiver groove in the head. So I guess you could say the gasket compresses against the o-ring.

Copper is a very soft metal, and thats why a copper gasket can be used. Stainless steel isnt going to 'compress' at all and will not go into the receiver groove. It will just flatten the o-ring and chances are that it will not seal at all.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
I think your going to run into disaster.

The o-ring doesnt compress against the gasket. The o-ring pushes the gasket up into the receiver groove in the head. So I guess you could say the gasket compresses against the o-ring.

Copper is a very soft metal, and thats why a copper gasket can be used. Stainless steel isnt going to 'compress' at all and will not go into the receiver groove. It will just flatten the o-ring and chances are that it will not seal at all.
Don't even consider using copper for an o-ring. What is the point of the o-ring? Its to make another seal to keep cylinder pressure from escaping. Everyone uses some sort of steel wire for the o-ring. There is a reason for that. If you cut grooves, and then put a soft o-ring under a hard gasket chances are you are going to end up with a groove full of copper on one side that is partially sealed, the other groove will simply be a big void that will allow un-impeded compression and water to pass through.

http://www.popularhotroddingweb.com/...07pon_ringing/

http://www.scegaskets.com/techtips/engineprep.html

Quick Reply: O-ring with MLS gasket and copper oring??