Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX 90mm issues... car hangs BAD at 2400 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX 90mm issues... car hangs BAD at 2400 rpm

Spent a day painting and prepping it... turned out awesome!

Then the install...

Everything fit pretty well with nothing other than minor modifications... drove it around fine for about 5 miles for tuning and dialing in... then out of nowhere it just hangs at 2400 rpm... at a stop, or even if turned off and turned back on runs right to 2400 rpm. Im pissed because its difficult to do a leak test when the car runs like that because I dont want to hurt anything in the car...

Anyone have issues? Im about to go yank the throttle body off but it would be nice to isolate the problem before yanking the intake off as its friday night!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Fixed... for anyone installing this combo... disregard any torque specs on the throttle body to the intake portion for the 5 bolts... RTV the bitch and tighten them as tight as they go...
Old 07-31-2004, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Glad you fixed your own problem!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Thunder175
Glad you fixed your own problem!
Well the last thing I expected after paying $1400 was a manufacturer error or defect... sure enough though everyone was right when they told me to get the other 90mm TB instead All in all im just happy it was a simple fix
Old 07-31-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn that really sucks that these things are such shitty worksmenship. Mine should be here any day and I'm wondering what will be wrong with it.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the problem? People are sure quick to bash a sponsor before even calling them to resolve the manner in an approiate way.Doing things in this manner makes the company not want to even help customers that do this.The motto of "bash first then call to get it resolved"..why should the company help...
Old 07-31-2004, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

In light of the money he spent, I think he's simply stating that with all of the prelauch media blitzing, one would assume that basic assembly issues are ironed out. We all need to vent a little now and then.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
What was the problem? People are sure quick to bash a sponsor before even calling them to resolve the manner in an approiate way.Doing things in this manner makes the company not want to even help customers that do this.The motto of "bash first then call to get it resolved"..why should the company help...
The construction is junk no matter how you look at it... no amount of phone calls will fix that... however it made solid power and I got what I wanted out of it... could have done without the bad seal between the throttle body and the manifold though... seems many people have that problem
Old 08-01-2004, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
Fixed... for anyone installing this combo... disregard any torque specs on the throttle body to the intake portion for the 5 bolts... RTV the bitch and tighten them as tight as they go...
I did the same exact thing for my 78mm. I also switched to stop nuts because the supplied ones lossened up after time.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

The construction is junk no matter how you look at it... no amount of phone calls will fix that... however it made solid power and I got what I wanted out of it... could have done without the bad seal between the throttle body and the manifold though... seems many people have that problem
I don't the actual construction is junk, but some of the design elements are subpar. Talking to their tech/service didn't help either.

My observations:

Problem #1 MAP sensor - there is no provision to clip it on like the OEM unit.
Fix - either TRV the hell out of it and cross your fingers or; create your own clip by removing the very back bolt and replacing with a longer bolt with a spacer and bracket that clamps down on the MAP sensor. (stole this idea from the concept 454 Chevelle with the FAST intake).

Problem #2 Intake bolts - supplied intake bolts have less thread than the OEM ones and will loosen up after time.
Fix - Simply reuse OEM bolts. Check and retighten as necessary after a couple of drive cycles.

Problem #3 TB sealing -same as above, use heavy amount of black RTV and torque the hell out of them. Note: make sure to use metal washer between nut and intake, switch to stop nuts.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLKTA
I don't the actual construction is junk, but some of the design elements are subpar. Talking to their tech/service didn't help either.

My observations:

Problem #1 MAP sensor - there is no provision to clip it on like the OEM unit.
Fix - either TRV the hell out of it and cross your fingers or; create your own clip by removing the very back bolt and replacing with a longer bolt with a spacer and bracket that clamps down on the MAP sensor. (stole this idea from the concept 454 Chevelle with the FAST intake).

Problem #2 Intake bolts - supplied intake bolts have less thread than the OEM ones and will loosen up after time.
Fix - Simply reuse OEM bolts. Check and retighten as necessary after a couple of drive cycles.

Problem #3 TB sealing -same as above, use heavy amount of black RTV and torque the hell out of them. Note: make sure to use metal washer between nut and intake, switch to stop nuts.
I also had to bend the valve cover breather tube, bend the front coolant line to clear the bottom of the manifold, etc
Old 08-01-2004, 06:16 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=SSOnYourSix]Spent a day painting and prepping it... turned out awesome!

QUOTE]DO U HAVE A PIC?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea both 90mm T/B's have their problems my TPIS has a weak throttle spring so I had to ad a extra spring to keep it from hanging up once in a while around 1500 - 2000 rpm's.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=pdd]
Spent a day painting and prepping it... turned out awesome!

QUOTE]DO U HAVE A PIC?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine idled about 2200 rpm when I first installed mine. Came to found out later that you have to replace the valley screws with the bolts that they supplied or the intake wont fit flush.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Man, you guys got it easy...sure you shelled out a lot of money, but when I was tuning on my cavalier, there was no company to buy parts from. I had to adapt better parts myself. While yes, I agree for the money they should have got it right...but hey, you guys still use microsoft products right?

*edit* I do think your paint job makes it look good!, and I'm glad it was just a vaccume leak that was causing your problem.