Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Car broken.. need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car broken.. need help!!

CLIFF NOTES.... u-joint crapped. questions in bold plz advise.

Well Sunday around noon im driving home and racing a little bing bong and all the sudden. BBRRRRMMMMBBRBRBRMBRMBRMBRMBRMBRBR!!!!!!!!!. So i slow down as fast as possible and pull over. I figure the rear end cratered on me. Try to get her to limp 5 feet and nothing, just alot of banging aroung. which tells me the u-joint gave out. Looked under the car and sure enough. Call up a buddy with a flat bed and $50 bucks later the car is at the house. I have not gotten a chance to get under the car yet but I will be tonight. Here is a list of the things i need help with.
Possibilities:

1)the u-bolts that hold the u-joint to the yoke of the rear gave out because i didnt put them on tight enough when i swapped the 10bolt back in from the 9". In which case where can i get a couple of new ones????

2)I had a slight vibration in the driveline which could have caused the u-joint to break. I installed the new u-joint myself in the garage with a BFH just like the guy at driveshaft king did when i converted it to the 1350 for my 9". this is an easy problem. buy a new u-joint and get the driveshaft check out for ballance. in this case where can i go to get it(driveshaft) ballanced and checked out?????

3) the vibration cause the u-joint to break and the vibration is comming from an incorrect pinion angle, which i doubt because the stock rear is under the car at stock ride height with bmr lca/subframes/panhard, and a stock T/A. this i doubt is what is caused the vibrations i was having. If this is the case, ill just have to buy a aftermarket T?A and start adjusting.

Im just hoping that it didnt mess up the rear end yoke. cause then i get to have it replaced.. ohh and i also need to get soem tranny fluid now cause the driveshaft fel out when the Flatbed started hoisting my car up. hehe tranny fluid is everywhere.

THanks again
Scott