Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP can the drivetrain on an '01 Tahoe handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much HP can the drivetrain on an '01 Tahoe handle?

I'm doing a stroker motor on an '01 Tahoe and was wondering how much the Xfer case can handle on a 4WD unit. Trans is built, so I know the capabilties of that... just nervous about the rest.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Guess nobody's tested the limits yet...
Old 08-05-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really the torque that kills it. The answer is about 500 foot pounds at the crank if you do it right. More than that and you'll be spending some serious money on upgrading the rear end assembly and the transmission.

A few tips to get the most power through your drivetrain without breaking it:

1. Use 3.42 or 3.73 gears max. The lower the ratio the better. Lower ratio put less stress on the differential and axles, and have more contact between ring and pinion.

2. Replace the stock G80 "Gov-loc" with an Eaton Posi. The stock differential is a weak point.

3. Do not install an aftermarket torque converter. These can multiply torque to the transmission by more than twice on a hard launch. The drivetrain will have to bear the force of this load because Tahoes are rear heavy enough to maintain traction where a truck would just break the tires lose and start spinning which would unload the drivetrain.

4. Install a TransGo **** kit. Stage One only, do not set it up firm as this has a negative effect on driveline hard part survivability. What you need from the shift kit is crisper shifts to avoid clutch plate overheating and warping (coning) and to fix a few of the other problems in the 4L60-E. (There are plenty of issue that need fixing in these transmissions.) You really don't even need a corvette servo if longevity is the goal. That servo only affects the 1-2 shift anyway. The real weakness is the 3-4 clutch pack that engages on the 2-3 shift.

5. Installing any tire that provides more traction will have a negative affect on driveline longevity under power. Wider or stickier tires have the same affect that larger diameter tires do - they increase the amount of torque the axles can be loaded to before the tires break traction.

Everything I've posted here comes from personal experience. I hope it helps you.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks James!

The trans is already built to the hilt, and it's geared down... i'm worried about the transfer case.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

why not use the escalade transfer case. Thats wat they use in ss and the new up and coming ss model of the trailblazer, but then again u would have to convert to awd. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: How much HP can the drivetrain on an '01 Tahoe handle?