Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half way into the cam change.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half way into the cam change.....

Everything is going smooth But I freaked because the 5/16 brake line I used would still alow the lifters to drop onto the cam.I'm assuming the rods keep the lifters from falling when the cam is out.Pass side is tight so I put the 2 19" long brake lines into the vise and sqeezed them into an oval shape and once installed I turned the rods to "tighten" up and hold the lifters.Dropping the condenser is much easier then lifting it out of the way.My helper was ready with the new B-1 and once I slide the new one out he did a hand off and I slide the new bullet in.This motor is pretty easy to work on,theres more room then I thought to do the valvesprings and the oil pickup tube is a piece of cake.Finish tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats
Old 08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you haven't, put a new o-ring on you oil pump! check out my post about ticking LS1's
Old 08-07-2004, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yup,got 2 to be safe and everything went OK.The old one was squared off.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to hear. Just opening the hood and looking at the engine with everything in place, seems like it would be impossible to work on. Especially changing the back valvesprings. Will be doing a manifold/cam/spring swap soon, thanks for the ecouraging words.

Originally Posted by glennster
This motor is pretty easy to work on,theres more room then I thought to do the valvesprings and the oil pickup tube is a piece of cake.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

In "stock trim" the car looks fairly intimidating, but once you get down to it its just turning a wrench and following procedure. And once you get everything off the top there is a decent amount of space -- the motor just needs to be moved a little further forward so you don't have to reach all the way in the back under the cowl (thats my only gripe). And I've done 4 different sets of heads and 5 cams in my car + a twin turbo setup. Everything and I mean everything has been off my car at one time or the other. It gets fun after awhile.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's really not so bad. It looks crowded at first. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have removed the EGR and AIR the first day I had the car. They are unecessary and with them removed, I can have my valve covers off in 10 minutes or change my spark plugs with just one socket and ratchet or when I want to double check my plug wires, there's nothing in the way and the engine bay is much much cleaner now.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

I would recomend a "larry tool" for the valve springs.I removed the air and egr when I did the headers,much easier to work on.If a guy has a hoist doing the oil pump o-ring and lower stuff is way easier.I also cranked over the engine without the coilpacks hooked up untill I got oil pressure and fired the motor with only the front cover and pulley on,it swung to 55 PSI and I shut it off and finished.