Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Cam on stock TC

Old 08-06-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small Cam on stock TC

Hey guys, I'm putting a very mild "old man cam" into my A4 car. The cam is a 215/220 .600/.525 on a 114. Do any of you run anything similar, or do you forsee any problems arising from this? Thanks a lot.

Just trying to cover ALL of my bases before I do install.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it is too late, but I would buy a tq converter first. It will provide much more gain than a cam being installed on a stock manifold car.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

a TC and a cam can be a deadly pair together. if you want to maximize the cam i would look at a converter to pair it up with.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's really no problem with doing what you're talking about. I mean, it's going to be alot faster than stock. It's just that you'll see SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more gain with a good converter. Usually, people install a converter and then do the cam. The converter gives the better bang for the buck by a long shot.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Please do the converter before the cam. I did the cam before the converter and i regreted it. The car didnt drive good at all, not that i have the PT4000 and a good size car the car pulls.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1_SS
Please do the converter before the cam. I did the cam before the converter and i regreted it. The car didnt drive good at all, not that i have the PT4000 and a good size car the car pulls.
What kind of Cam did you go with? Mine is VERY mild. It's a 215/220 on a 114 lsa. What do you mean when you said it wouldn't drive good? Surging, stalling, .... what?
Old 08-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Launching!

The trans would still not throw you in the rpm like the stall would. When i let off the gas the car would keep speeding up slowly, some said its because the stock T\C is so tight. Now i got the Pt400 and the cam and stall work good together. I had a 230/226 cam. I would and dont suggest you install a cam before stall, if i could go back i wouldnt not do it again.

Last edited by F1_SS; 08-08-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

CaptUSA
I'm going to run the stock TC w/ a very small "torquey" cam for awhile. I'll post my impressions after I get the cam installed. Good luck with your setup!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nuzee
CaptUSA
I'm going to run the stock TC w/ a very small "torquey" cam for awhile. I'll post my impressions after I get the cam installed. Good luck with your setup!
Yeah man, that'd be great. I'm moving sometime late this month, or middle of next month, so I'm just filling in the knowledge gaps between now and then. (The cam's going in after the move.) Good luck on yours too. Which cam did you decide to go with?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

I chose the CompCams 206/212 112lsa cam. It took me all day yesterday to install it and I'm tired & cut-up today, lol. I haven't had much drive time yet. Initial impression is that the cam makes the car feel lighter. Very light throttle right off-idle feels better. I had a brief acceleration run onto the freeway last night and the mid range pull felt quick. I need to take it to the track to measure improvements.

Idle/exhaust is a tiny bit choppier at the stock 600 rpm. Nothing to get excited about. Seems to work OK w/stock tune, so far. I need to get my data logger hooked up to check everything out.

Even with an increased low-end that the cam gives, the "dead spot" acceleration is still not fully cured. A loose converter seems to be THE cure.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nuzee
I chose the CompCams 206/212 112lsa cam. It took me all day yesterday to install it and I'm tired & cut-up today, lol. I haven't had much drive time yet. Initial impression is that the cam makes the car feel lighter. Very light throttle right off-idle feels better. I had a brief acceleration run onto the freeway last night and the mid range pull felt quick. I need to take it to the track to measure improvements.

Idle/exhaust is a tiny bit choppier at the stock 600 rpm. Nothing to get excited about. Seems to work OK w/stock tune, so far. I need to get my data logger hooked up to check everything out.

Even with an increased low-end that the cam gives, the "dead spot" acceleration is still not fully cured. A loose converter seems to be THE cure.
That's incredible news! Thanks for the update, and above all, Congratulations! My idle will probably be right about what yours is now. I'm a little larger one the durations, but larger on the lobe separation too. Let us know how it goes once you really get a chance to feel her out. Thanks again for the news.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Nuzee - I did something very similar - check out This thread..

I put a TR220 in my truck. I'm starting to realize Im not all that happy with it.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Like I said there, I'm looking into the Comp 206/212. Could you PLEASE let me know when you get some data on how the car is running? I'm having all kinds of problems with KR down low.

Search this Thread