Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tranny Problems

I need help!!! Just installed the 5TH!! f-ing stall from TCI and am still having problems... The car shutters something terrible when it shifts into overdrive. The last convertor i got from them came apart and ruined my tranny, so i had a place in NC build me one that will hold up to the stress of stall,NOS and racing. another problem is that the car won't even turn over the tires doing a break torque. its hard to do a burnout if it wont even light em up... anyone got ANY ideas on what my problem is now

thanks!
Old 08-07-2004, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's storys like yours that keep me from going back to TCI. after having had a B&M, TCI,& HUGHES converter in a previous car. I found out that TCI Sucks.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like the stall RPM of your current converter is way low.

As far as the torque converter lockup clutch goes, all 4L60-E's with Pulse-Width Modulation torque converter clutch circuits have carbon-fibre clutches in the OEM converters to hold up to the constant tiny amount of slipping that the PCM maintains. Aftermarket converters in the lower priceranges do not use such materials for their clutches. The only way to completely prevent shudder is to program out the PWM or modify the valve body to prevent it from happening. Also, the lower the RPM is that the converter clutch is locking the more likely it is to shudder since the typical RPM difference between the pump and turbine will be greater.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact same problem. I was also told that the verter was trying to lock up at too low of an RPM, I don't know if that's the whole deal. It seems to happen whenever the tranny wants to downshift, but it won't go.

James, can it be something changed with Edit, and if so, how can I explain it to my tuner?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raptor99
...can it be something changed with Edit, and if so, how can I explain it to my tuner?
Sure, it can be changed with tuning. Have the minimum Lockup speed increased. Also, if possible, increase the lockup rate. Program out the valve modulation so lockup is firm and stays 100% locked.

This might result in a strange sensation when you are cruising and let off the gas. If will feel like the trans downshifted, but really it's just the driveline play switching directions. Not harmful.