Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Yet another rearend thread (long)

Old 08-09-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another rearend thread (long)

I have spent a couple of days reading over some rear-end threads both here and LS2.com and can not find exactly the answers I need so bear with me while I describe yet another rear-end problem that seems to be common.

First off, back in march I hit a 3inch 90 degree dip in the road that construction workers dug up but didn't block off or put up signs. To this day I am still in battles with the city over paying for my damages (which was 4 dented rims, busted center console (yea, it broke the center console when I hit it), and new shocks).

Well, about 2 months ago, I started getting a loud woowooowoowoowoowoo out of the back of the car (actually it's been doing it for a while, but I figured it was the bent rims and tires). Recently it has gotten so loud it over powers the headers, catless Y, and catback. It is loudest at 60 and up but can be heard at all speeds mainly when slowing down and/or holding speeds. It is so loud at 60+ that you will have trouble hearing the person next to you with the radio off and the windows up. Going 75+ you can forget a conversion in the car even with the car in neutral.

Diagnostics I have done
I took the wheels off the car and put the factory wheels and tires on and went for a test run. Same noise (maybe a slight bit quieter). Come back, Jack up the car while a buddy was under the car listening. Turning the wheel, he says it sound like it is coming from the pass side more (but a little on the Driver side), right at the ends where the hub is. No noise from the center. I took the wheels off, took the caliper off, and took the rotor off and spun the hub. It still makes the noise and feels like it turns freely then tightens up, loosens up, turns freely and tightens up again and so forth. After talking to some people we decide it is the rear bearings going bad since my dad had something similar and we replaced them in his 79 vette (which was cake BTW). So I go to the parts store and buy two bearings and seals with a puller to do the job ($25 in parts), and while looking at the hub, realized I don't have a clue how to do bearings on this car. After research I found out you have to dumb the housing and pull a C-clip out and pull out the bearings.

Now questions.
First off, is there a write up on doing this job? I am not very knowledgeable about the rear-ends, but There isn't a job on the car that I haven't been able to do with a little write-up or walk through on the net.

Second, what all should I buy and have ready to replace while getting into this? Anything else you guys think this should be or that I should be ready to deal with since I will have it apart. Where should I get the other pieces (advanced auto had the bearings and seals)?

Again, I don't have money to replace the rear, and don't want to pay the $340+ labor for a shop and like doing my own work to the car so any help would be great.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

bueler....bueler...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Getting the axles out is pretty easy. There is a locking bolt on the differential that holds in the axle spacer. Remove the locking bolt and pull out the spacer between the axles.

Now if you push in the axle, it is easy to remove the C clip on the axle. Now just pull out the axle and repeat for the other side.

I know that a picture would help here, but that is the best that I can do.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help. This seems like something that people either do not like to work on, or they rather pay instead of going through the trouble. I hope the locking bolt will be obvious since I haven't messed with the rear enough to know all the parts inside.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the noise is constant on & off the gas , then I would highly recomend checking the pinion bearings as well... Once you've got the axles out, unbolt the driveshaft at the rear yolk & spin it... If the bearings are pitted you will definately hear them & would be some resistance on the pinion will trying to turn it... If they are bad, then you will most likely have to take it to a shop, because the rear bearing is pressed onto the pinion gear & requires a special tool to be put on & took of... Hope this helps ya out.

Mike

Last edited by MM98; 08-12-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To elaborate a little more, the locking bolt is behind your Diff cover and aligns the same as your axle (horizontal) and the head of the bolt will be pointing towards the passenger side. It is pretty tight so make sure you have someway that will not allow the Diff to spin, i.e. Drive shaft still on, and in park.
IF you have TCS, (not sure which year it started), you will need to take the sensors off to be able to push the axels in (which allows you to take the "C" clip out).

It is pretty straight forward once you get the locking bolt out.
Good luck
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Cool thanks guys!! Since we listened to it spin for about 10 minutes, putting our ears to different spots and only hearing noise on the outer part of the axle I am hopefull it is just the outside bearings. Maybe a bent axle, but I am hoping to get out cheap since it makes me feel better to hope that!! We plan to dig into it tomorrow and have a few tips a local f-body shop gave to determine if it is the axle before we dig into it!!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Well, looks like the axle is bent on the pass side. It is chewed all to hell at the bearing. I will post pics, but running now to see if I can find a new bearing!!

Last edited by FirehawkNS; 08-13-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

OK, what the hell is the deal with the Bearings? How the hell do you get out the bearings. I bought a bearing puller. I pulled, and pulled and pulled!! While my dad was here he pulled and pulled and pulled. I even tried hitting the hell out of it with a hammer!! Nothing. The bearing will not move. I was able to bust open the bearings and two came flying out on my next to last pull, but I am afraid I am not doing anything other then ******* up the sides of the Axle housing where the bearing puller is resting on!! Is there a trick, or is there something wrong with the housing that is holding the bearing in.

Here are the pics of the axle BTW:

The bearings (note, they looked perfect till I fubared them trying to get them out.)

Is it supposed to be so hard to get them out? We were even picking the car up off the jacks pulling so hard!!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to go rent a slide-hammer to get those little bastards out.

Search this Thread