Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros cons of not running cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros cons of not running cats

just wondering if i should take my cats off when i do my new headers an go with offroad pipe or get the catted y pipe, any help be cool any diif in power with em on or off????
Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Pro's are that you flow better, the cons are your loud as ****, and if a cop or someone should climb up your *** and look under there you could possibily face a serious fine. (or so I'm told by a **** head cop friend) However there are a lot of people running without them so the real question is can you stand the extra noise and do ya feel luck?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

It'll flow a little better and make slightly more power without cats but it will be loud and you will smell the exhaust fumes more.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been running without cats for about a month and a half. You can smell the fumes a bit but it's not that bad at all. It's better flow but not by much when talkin HP numbers. The sound is louder but as long as you keep off the pedal then it's not that loud. With cops, almost all of them won't pull you over if you are just driving by normally. Other hand is if you go WOT and a cop hears you or is nearby then he might suspect something. It's loud as **** when you step on it. You'll just have to be more careful on the streets as you don't want to be flooring it all the time cuz you'll draw attention.

I honestly love the sound of my car without the cats. I had my cousin drive my car in a parking lot so i could hear and watch it. I'm just amazed on how it sounds outside.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been with out cats for over 2 years now. We will see if i can pass this year with a bigger cam.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

The previous owners (I'm the 4th owner) took off the cats. I do smell the fumes very plainly when you shut off the engine. Also the Service Engine Soon light stays on all the time..
Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Camaroman_99
The previous owners (I'm the 4th owner) took off the cats. I do smell the fumes very plainly when you shut off the engine. Also the Service Engine Soon light stays on all the time..
We can buy O2 simulators for the wire harness connections that are supposed to go onto the O2 sensors a bit downstream of the catalytic converters. These O2 sensors basically send back the signals to the PCM stating that the O2 sensors are there, working fine, and are not seeing anything weird in the exhaust gases after they exit the catalytic converters - even through the catalytic converters are gone and replaced with straight pipes or hollowed out catalytic converters. I saw the O2 simulators on the Internet somewhere; they look like the skip-shift eliminators and work in a similar manner. For off-road use only!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Pros: Sounds Good, Loud, better flow

Cons:SES light, gas fumes
Old 08-11-2004, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

If you are running a mild cam or alittle nitrous or anything like that, then run without cats. It will help you flow better. Ah hell, i would run without them anyways. If you have a cut-out like i do, its going to be LOUD!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a cop, and here's my opinion. Any cop that pulls you over and looks underneath for cats is a total a**hole!! The fines are very steep though, but they are mainly placed on shops and such that are caught taking off the cats (at least here in NJ).
Old 08-11-2004, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

For the most part I think cops would use it as an excuse to pull you over, to investigate other possible violations, smoking pot, drinking, etc... Most officers around here anyway, dont seem to mind it much.. Just dont be an idiot and rev as you pass the police station..

If you do get pulled over for noise, it is doubtful they would bother checking for cats unless you live in an emission restricted county. You may get cited for noise violation but guess what, you were breaking the law.. Price ya risk paying... Don't be pissed at the cop or think he is being pety for doing his job.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

The flow difference won't mean much but if you want the sound go for it. Like was stated earlier though don't be an *** on the street and you'll be fine. It is a huge fine though if you get caught.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

**** CATS... I am a dog person myself.

Honestly, I have been running an ORY for about 4 months and love it. With my SLP Dual/Dual exhaust you can't tell that I have headers and no cats unless I really get on it.
Plus I love all the stupid comments I get from retards. I have had 2 different people try to tell me my **** was broken because of the exhaust fumes. One guy in a E55 AMG and another in an S.R.T.-4 both times after I whoped their asses. How else could they see my tail pipes?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Anyone notice the fumes from your exhaust leaving a black mark on your bumper. *note* when running w\ out cats.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Biggest Pro: like 3-5 extra hp

Biggest Con: Makes exhaust raspy as **** (unless you have true duals)
Old 08-11-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

No cats w/ longtubes all summer so far no tickies....but I'm in Detroit and most of the serious muscle cars running around Woodward this summer have slicks and without a doubt are sans cats (and back seats). If some stupid cop looked under my car -which is pretty low - I would point to the front 02 sensors, now way in the back, and say "look those sensors and wires don't just go into nothing - those are random metal matrix 3d performance cats that fit into the 3 inch pipes" then i would peal out and laugh.
Cats are for sissys and tree huggers.
Rage or Die ****.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

I have had no cats for a long time in my car. I used to get tired of the smell of the exhaust, but I don't drive the car much anymore.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rookie501
Anyone notice the fumes from your exhaust leaving a black mark on your bumper. *note* when running w\ out cats.
Yes, but that is because the driver side tailpipe on my GMMG is too close to the bumper.

I think I actually like the smell of uncatted exhaust.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I think I actually like the smell of uncatted exhaust.

Second that

Just put in a mac y-pipe with no cats, sounds great.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pros: Loud and more power
Cons: Loud (if you don't like it)

And depending on the mods in your engine, dropping the cats can make a bigger difference than 3-5hp. Some have reported as much as 20hp.

Quick Reply: pros cons of not running cats