Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my intake totally done, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my intake totally done, but...

Hey everyone. I finally got my intake install finished (took so long because I went on vacation then worked every day since I've been back), and the car runs beautifully. Started before I put the lid/MAF back on just to see if all was well...it was. But then I put everything back together, went to start it, and guess what? Damn battery died....my dumb *** left it connected the whole time the car was sitting in the garage. If I just thought before I did stuff, life would be much easier. Oh well, the hard part is over.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
If I just thought before I did stuff, life would be much easier.
Amen to that brotha!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:01 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

on the install.... on the dead batt.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just finished intalling and uninstalling my intake about 4 times lets just say i can have the whole intake off in 15min now.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

What intake did you install Bull99? Why did you have to take your intake off so many times hourang? The reason I am asking is because I will be installing my LS6 intake in a few days and don't want to run into any snags.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
What intake did you install Bull99? Why did you have to take your intake off so many times hourang? The reason I am asking is because I will be installing my LS6 intake in a few days and don't want to run into any snags.
ok here are some pointers, one dont break the oil pressure sending unit when you remove the intake, no one will have it in stock 2. get the coolant tubes all ready and set. 3. make sure you get all the tape off of the knock sensor wires.

we had to do it so many times cuz i couldnt get it to seat right becuase the tape on the wires, and we would get it in there and it would not sit flush on all sides and would have to remove it, i finally just set the intake on straight and pounded it into position. then i made my own coolant cutoffs by taking the old tubes and cutting them and soldiering the ends shut with metal soldier, the first few times it leaked so we had to remove it all over again and i resoldiered the tubes real good, then pressure tested them with my air tool, then put everything back together and finally was done. what a pain, lol. but worth it
Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hourang
ok here are some pointers, one dont break the oil pressure sending unit when you remove the intake, no one will have it in stock 2. get the coolant tubes all ready and set. 3. make sure you get all the tape off of the knock sensor wires.

we had to do it so many times cuz i couldnt get it to seat right becuase the tape on the wires, and we would get it in there and it would not sit flush on all sides and would have to remove it, i finally just set the intake on straight and pounded it into position. then i made my own coolant cutoffs by taking the old tubes and cutting them and soldiering the ends shut with metal soldier, the first few times it leaked so we had to remove it all over again and i resoldiered the tubes real good, then pressure tested them with my air tool, then put everything back together and finally was done. what a pain, lol. but worth it
Ummm, which one's the oil pressure sending unit? I think I might have broken that, too. I just have an LS6 too...not very easy. If that oil pressure sending unit is broken, what happens?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ummm, which one's the oil pressure sending unit? I think I might have broken that, too. I just have an LS6 too...not very easy. If that oil pressure sending unit is broken, what happens?

if its broke you wont read any oil pressure and who knows what else, car might not even run since the computer will see no oil pressure it will probably shut itself off, not sure though just guessing
Old 08-12-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

if its broke you wont read any oil pressure and who knows what else, car might not even run since the computer will see no oil pressure it will probably shut itself off, not sure though just guessing
Haha, ****....mine's broken. Where do you find a replacement?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, ****....mine's broken. Where do you find a replacement?
well if you dont need it right away you can get it anywhere but will probably have to order it, i called like 30 different places, all said it would take 3-5days. i did happen across one dealership that was able to get it in same day for me. just call around everyone should be able to get it and someone may have it in stock. your gonna want a oil pressure switch socket to remove and install it, its $5.99 from autozone.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you dont need it right away you can get it anywhere but will probably have to order it, i called like 30 different places, all said it would take 3-5days. i did happen across one dealership that was able to get it in same day for me. just call around everyone should be able to get it and someone may have it in stock. your gonna want a oil pressure switch socket to remove and install it, its $5.99 from autozone.
Excellent. Thank you. I appreciate it. I saw it broken and remember thinking 'What the hell is that?'. I put it all back together to see if it would run and it did, but not well....maybe this will fix it.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Excellent. Thank you. I appreciate it. I saw it broken and remember thinking 'What the hell is that?'. I put it all back together to see if it would run and it did, but not well....maybe this will fix it.
yeah lol i would replace it.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah lol i would replace it.
I just ordered it online now....since I have another car to drive for now.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered it online now....since I have another car to drive for now.
lucky you, how much was it?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HEY I have a question regarding the coolant lines, How do I cut them (where? pics if possible) front and back, I need to know so I can get the ls6 intake on my car. thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
HEY I have a question regarding the coolant lines, How do I cut them (where? pics if possible) front and back, I need to know so I can get the ls6 intake on my car. thanks
You don't need to cut them, buy the kit that includes 2 blockoffs for the rear and a new front pipe to connect to your exiting line. The pipe you have on there now comes off completely and isn't reused. TSP has the coolant pipe kit for $38.99.

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...ProductID=1031
Old 08-14-2004, 01:16 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HavATampa
You don't need to cut them, buy the kit that includes 2 blockoffs for the rear and a new front pipe to connect to your exiting line. The pipe you have on there now comes off completely and isn't reused.
True, but you will save that nearly $40.00 plus shipping if you do it the 'homebuilt' way.
Not sure which route I will go when I install mine.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Be safe not cheap!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, in order to cut them, you will either need to get them welded shut or soldier them. on the rear tubes/plugs you cut them as close to the base as you can, leaving about an inch for crimping. on the font tube you cut it close to the y section, again leaving half inch to an inch for crimping. you crimp the ends with some vice grips or something, i would crimp about a 1/4 inch of the end, as tight as you can. then either have a shop weld the ends or get some metal soldier, not the electrical soldier. you use a propane torch and acid(forget what its called) to clean the metal and the torch to heat up the soldier. i would strongly advise you only do this if you are good at soldiering, ive done it a few times already and it has to be done right. i pressure tested the ends at 80psi, suckers arent leaking and it didnt cost me a dime