Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

(Interesting Rumor) New GTO Factory supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Interesting Rumor) New GTO Factory supercharged?

I did not know where else to post this, I dont know how much to believe. But, I figured I would post it here so you guys can read it. From ls1gto.com

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4975
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm... Maybe they're talking about the 500hp GTO mentioned in the "LS7 to debut in GTO" thread ... interesting....
Old 08-11-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you think about it, you will quickly realize that it's totally crap, plain and simple. LS2/LS7 doesn't need forced induction. They made a great effort and spent a lot of money to produce those 3V heads for the LS7, they increased the bore on LS2 family, thereby helping the flow and weakening the cylinder walls - another step away from a forced induction system. They also raised the compression. All those factors mean that LS2/LS7 family is even less suitable and needs forced induction even less than an LS1/LS6. Besides, I think it's pretty obvious now that LS7 will produce 500hp N/A...
Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

500 hp GTO
Old 08-12-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Iv_z28
If you think about it, you will quickly realize that it's totally crap, plain and simple. LS2/LS7 doesn't need forced induction. They made a great effort and spent a lot of money to produce those 3V heads for the LS7, they increased the bore on LS2 family, thereby helping the flow and weakening the cylinder walls - another step away from a forced induction system. They also raised the compression. All those factors mean that LS2/LS7 family is even less suitable and needs forced induction even less than an LS1/LS6. Besides, I think it's pretty obvious now that LS7 will produce 500hp N/A...
Conversly though the LS1/6 does do very well with a mild Eaton blower and would seam to be rather reliable with this design. If the factory lowered the compression, and just put a mild blower on then 500hp is WAAAAAAAY easy, and it might be an easy way to get the GTO to go up against the Rumored 500hp next gen Cobra. Personally I love the idea of a supercharger but preffer the reality of an equally powerful NA motor, less weight and heat soak, and I'm more interested in a handler these days than a straight liner any ways. The other thread quotes a GM press release stating the Boulevard Dream Cruise would feautre a 6.3L 500hp Concept GTO. well, 500hp and 6.3L sounds like an LS7 to me...

Quick Reply: (Interesting Rumor) New GTO Factory supercharged?