Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clunking 2002 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking 2002 Silverado

I have a 2002 K-1500 Silverado Z-71 with auto trans, it has a little over 17.000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer because of an increase in noise (clunking from the the driveline) when going into and out of reverse, also a noticable increase in clunking on 1-2 upshifts and downshifts. The dealers response was, "it was normal backlash". I have made sure the driveshaft spline to the transfer case was lubed. Does anyone have any insight or have had similar problems as described. This only became noticable at a little over 15,000 miles.

P.S. The vehicle has never been off road or driven hard.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:27 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a TSB saying it's normal noise from the transfer case. Normal noise translated to English from GM jargon= we can't fix it.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the dealers in my area have been replacing the slip yoke on the driveshaft with an updated style. Now this only applies to "certain models" and may not be for your truck. Maybe go to another dealer and see what they say. Just don't tell them you have been in for this before because they may pull the repair history and "magically" find the same "normal backlash".