Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam w/Stock Clutch & Rearend

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cam w/Stock Clutch & Rearend

Just wondering, how many of you guys are running a stock clutch and rear with an average-sized cam (224/224 or similar)? I know this probably wouldn't work-out on the strip with sticky tires, but you guys that mostly drive on the street. Is it working-out okay, or are you planning on upgrading?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:12 AM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

I'm going to do it here with the T-rex. I don't expect the clutch to last long, I think it'll go before the rear. I think it'll go pretty soon.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

ive been ridin on my stock clutch and rear for a while with a tr224. ur rear will probably hold out on street tires...clutch is a different thing. im gettin stage 2 heads here pretty soon...and when i do my clutch will be the first thing i replace. as far as the rear....its all about how u drive it. i wont be doing any hard launches with my 10 bolt...so i just hope it will hold up on those nice hard slams into 2nd
Old 08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

the rear, it's kind of a guess. don't run really sticky tires and you should be ok. i ran nitto's on a bolt on car with the stock rear and it didn't even make 3 passes, so don't get really good hooking tires. i ran on the stock clutch out at the strip with 400 rwhp. i would drop the clutch at 6000 rpms and go (after the 12-bolt). funny thing is that when i took it out it didn't look too bad. just a couple of hotspots on the flywheel. had almost 25k on it.

the stock clutch is a really nice piece. it's the rearend you really need to be worring about.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also running my stock clutch and rear with a 231/237. Next summer when I get heads I will be getting a new clutch and hopefully a new rear though.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Predator, looks like from your sig. that your still running 3.42 gears, good! Those are the only gears that will hold up to the power from a 224 or bigger cam.

I had the C2 cam from MTI for over a year in my TA with 3.73s in back, and I was fine until one day taking off from a light a couple of teeth from the ring gear snapped off. Ultimately, we figured it was a combination of racing at the track and some occasional wheelhop that crunched the 3.73s. I have never seen anyone break the 3.42s. There is a guy here in Houston running a 422 motor with those gears and he has not broke them yet!

So get the 224 cam of your choice , but keep the stock gears and you'll be fine!...Randy
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

224 + stage Ii heads here. Stock (Z06) clutch holding fine. 10 bolt with 3.42's and F1 rubber.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Thanks fellas, I'm really encouraged by the responses.

I wouldn't consider running anything but 3.42s with the stock rear. I was hoping that I had a chance of the rear lasting awhile with the stock gears. I thought that my TA Girdle would help a little too. It sounds like I might be okay. I have BFG Comp T/As, and when those go, I'll replace them with another set of performance street tires.

I don't know if this means anything, but so far my stock clutch has been working great. I'm the type that doesn't need to go all out everytime I drive the car. I only get on it when I have to. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do . I try to only push the car if I'm legitimately challenged. Heck, I even enjoy just cruising slowly listening to the exhaust. It's all good!

Thanks again for making me feel better!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My clutch slipped one time before the cam install. It was fine for a while after it, and then it gave up at 68,000 miles. I torched a pinion bearing on the stock rear as well.