Sponsored by:

Looking for: TXCamSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 09:27 PM
Jim
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for: TXCamSS

I've been following your progress on the 01 SS.Very nice #s and those 60ft marks(1.4s).I have an 02Z28 stock internals,all bolt ons and the same converter.How was the car running before H/C? Do you think the added horsepower helped the low 60ft? My car is doing well,3450lbs(1.52)60ft.11.56 @115.75mph.I want H/C,but will the added horsepower screw everything up?I have decided on MTI s2 heads,cam is another thing.Did u have any problems with the 112 lsa? Would u do anything different?My 1st goal was 10s with cam only,but everyone is telling me I need a bigger converter and 410 gears and it might be poss.But I think I'll save for a combo.any advise would be greatly appreciated.thanks for your time. Jim
Old 11-17-2002, 07:15 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Looking for: TXCamSS

Hi Jim,

I am very pleased with the over all package that I am using. I pulled 1.58s before the H/C and the 1.48s came along after the H/C primarily due to the added HP. I did have to go to true drag slicks after the addition of the H/C. As far as the cam goes, I have had very few issues with the 112lc. I did have to play with the TB blade adjustment to fine tune the idle and I had the base timing increased ,but it idles strong at 875 rpm. The idle related issues that people have just require a little tinkering and only after the PCM has learned it's new airflow and has time to correct for it. Would I change anything if I had to do it over again? I might would have gone with the PT4400 converter, but as far as streetability and 60 fts go, it's damn hard to ask for much more. It's just that I noticed that I am the only one in the top 50 NA that has anything less than a 4400 , except for the M6 cars and I know they are launching at well over the 3500 mark. I think the additional shift extension would give me a bit better ET also. All I need is another 1 1/2 tenths to bump into the 10s and I am right at 3500#s race weight with me in the car. I could lose a couple hundred pounds or get the PT4400 to get there , but I am hoping I can catch some ideal air and make it.I would love to be able to accomplish my goal with this ST3500 in the car. I am going out to the track tonight and shoot for some 11.0Xs since the air is a little better than average.

Actually, the C2 cam would give me what I need, but this baby cam C1 is so perfect for what I need in a daily driver and it will walk all over most anything that wants to play. I actually followed John Campbells first combination and applied it to my full weight power everything SS and I could not ask for a better daily driver.Remember, this is my wifes' daily driver and it has to be "right" or I will be hearing about it.lol. I hope this is the info you were looking for, but feel free to contact me if I can help out with anything. Take care.

James
Old 11-17-2002, 07:26 AM

Jim I forgot to answer your question about how the car ran before the H/C. We had a best stock internal ET of 11.98 and that was through the stock exhaust manifolds and before the modified Super sucker cold air kit. I could not believe the car was capable of this ET , but the DA was at -1500. That was a one night event , not an average ET by no means. When I installed the cam and got it tuned in where I wanted it, I ran consistant 11.81-11.83 in the hot Texas heat (2100 DA). Keep in mind that I had to add a roll cage, DSL, and 5 pt harness after the first 11.98, so it was appx 125#s lighter than it is now. I really like the idea of never having to turn the car over 6500 rpm to achieve these times.

Thanks,

James
Old 11-23-2002, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TEXCAMSS, how did you modify your supersucker?
Old 11-23-2002, 03:37 PM

I added on to the front inlet with a fabricated plastic piece. It was actually a plastic paper file holder that was cut to allow me to extend to inlet forward and by doing this , it made the inlet change from the original 1.5 inch opening to about 5 inches. It set forward almost touching the ground so it was for track use only. It looked like a small bird varmit catcher.lol. The air stil had to travel through the original sized inlet, but it ensured that I was gathering all the air possible. I did this because when I bolted onm my slicks it set the nose down a bit which allowed th cars front fascia to block some of the incoming air. I now have to rebuild it as it got destroyed on the way home from our local track. I ran over a piece of carpet which to it out. I'll try to get some pics of the new one when I get it completed. I just installed the new Hawker battery last night so I put the SS extension on the back burner. I'll keep you posted.

Take care,

James