Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Install Cost:

Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Intake Install Cost:

I did try to use the search button, but there are a million + 1 posts having to do w/ the Intake, so I came up dry. How much does it cost to have one done? I looked at the LS1HowTo.com site, and it looked pretty straight forward. I'm assuming any mechanic who knows the difference between a hammer and a wrench could do it? Is this right? Thanks a lot.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

don't be lazy......do it yourself

you will need a 10mm socket and a rachet to pull the bolts and a little $5 fuel line tool from Napa/Pep Boys/etc.....having done it a bunch of times I can just about do it in 30 mins now.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just put it on yourself and save the money. Its a fairly easy mod to do and its a good feeling of accomplishment
Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ls1howto.com and do it yourself, should take no more then an hour or so if you know what your doing.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL Wow, some sort of record. 3 responces, and all 3 agree completely. I did look at LS1HowTo.com and I did think it was pretty simple. The only thing that's stopping me is noobie nerves. I've never taken anything off of an engine before. The lid and Ram Air mods were easy. This makes me think twice. ..... I'll look at the directions again, and decide. I should have a garage (God willing) in a few days, so I'll have somewhere to do it. ..... :question: I'll try maybe. If I can gather the nerve.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, as a point of interest in case anybody was wondering (lol which I doubt). I got lucky for once. A guy rear-ended my car a few days ago. Didn't do much damage. Mabye some touch up paint, and re-hang my RS ground effect in the back. Other than that, no big deal. The insurance appraiser is coughing up almost $600 bucks though!!! Oh yeah baby. Baby cam + LS6 intake manifold here I come. Good times. The intake should help me out w/ the cam right?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, 1 more post.... (sorry) If I do this myself, is there anything special I need to be particularly aware of, or do the directions say it all? I REALLY don't want to turn my engine into a bomb.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its fairly straight forward and a good begginer mod IMO. Im not sure what your plans on for the car are but most of my friends that have bought smaller beginner cams have wound up (or in the process of) repacing it with a bigger cam. Just something to think about.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never priced an install cost, because I was always planning on doing it myself. I've rebuilt a few old small block Chevy engines when I was younger and this is the first LS1 I've owned much less worked on. I just spent 3 hours removing the old intake to get ready to swap for an LS6. I had a heck of a time removing #7 fuel injector connector. The job is not a hard thing to do, just time consuming and you gotta feel for most of the connections and bolt because you can't see them. The back four bolts are so far under the cowl, it makes it tough holding those up and lifting up the manifold. Got it out without breaking the oil pressure sensor, which a lot of guys seem to do. Will get up early in the morning and clean up the valley first and start replacing the water vapor lines and then start putting the new one in. Do yourself a favor and spend 10 minutes removing the plastic cowling cover under the windshield wiper arms. It gives you a few more inches of room for your arms and it get's rid of those spikey little hold downs that will chew you up if left in. Take your time and do it right the first time. I amazed at some of these guys saying they can do an intake swap in 30 minutes.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it definitely took me a while. Make sure you change the coolant lines properly, I didn't and had to redo it all. Make sure not to break the damn oil pressure sensor, I did and still have to replace it because my car runs like **** now. Watch out for the the little pins that hold the plastic cowl molding on...I still have two nice 1.5" long scars on each hand from those. Overall it's not bad, just try to get someone to help you because it makes it much easier. Best of luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DO IT YOURSELF!!! took me about an hour and a half and it was my first one...
Old 08-13-2004, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

hey bull, since u have an older Z liek mine what do u recommend i do with the EGR and such? bc i plan on gettin the intake asap and wondering what to do with the egr?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by emanneercstahp
hey bull, since u have an older Z liek mine what do u recommend i do with the EGR and such? bc i plan on gettin the intake asap and wondering what to do with the egr?
Haha, as soon as I figure it out...I'll let you know. Right now, I have the EGR disconnected (obviously), and it's just sitting there. What I think I'm going to do, since I'm not totally done yet, is just unbolt and resest the SES light.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

You only have a few options when it comes to the EGR. If you get a regular LS6 manifold, it doesn't have provisions for it. Most people just remove it and use a programmer to disable EGR to stop the code from being set. If you buy the SLP version of the LS6, you can keep the EGR connected because it has provisions for it. Some people drill out a stock LS6 instake and buy an expensive adapter to reconnect their EGR. I plan on ditching it all together and use HP Tuner to disable it.

Originally Posted by emanneercstahp
Old 08-13-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the words of wisdom guys. I will do it myself. I'm just going w/ the SLP option, so I don't have to think about the EGR part of it.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

you dont need to disconnect the fuel line, when you get the intake out as far as you can, remove the fuel injectors and rail, that way you dont have fuel all over your motor when you remove the intake. also be careful of the brake booster vacuum tube, it can rip the oil pressure sending unit, or get binded up and cause vacuum problems. and dont forget to hook up the sensor and hose in the back of the intake when you almost have the intake into position.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Finally finished my intake swap out about an hour ago. Going back in is easier than taking it out it seems. JMX says to hold the back four bolts up while you are putting the intake back on, that's impossible by yourself. I ended up cutting 4 pieces of tubing an inch long and cut a slit down the side of all four. Slid each one between the head of all four bolts and the intake and it held them up like a champ. Once the intake was in place I just slid them off the bolts through the slits I cut and the bolts dropped right in place. Another thing I had problems with was putting #7 fuel injector connector back on. After 20 minutes of fighting with it I realized all I had to do was rotate the injector 90 degrees and the connector then had room to go back on. CaptUSA, If you change your mind and decide to ditch the EGR, look at Texas Speeds deal on the LS6, it comes with the bigger injectors already installed with the fuel rails too for less than the SLP without injectors and rails.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:16 PM

Install <2 hours, cost to have done at a shop about $100.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
CaptUSA, If you change your mind and decide to ditch the EGR, look at Texas Speeds deal on the LS6, it comes with the bigger injectors already installed with the fuel rails too for less than the SLP without injectors and rails.
That is a good deal. The problem I'm running into though is the same problem I always have. I can buy the mod, but not pay for the tune. That's my main reason for staying w/ the EGR modded intake. If I had a full grand to spend instead of $500 bucks, then you're right (As I'd LOVE to have a good tune anyway).
Here's a thought. If I were to install the Cam, then pay for a tune (the cam is TR's Old Man Cam 215/220 .600/.525 114lsa) would that be more gain than putting on the LS6 intake manifold? If so, I may just do that. In the long run it would suck, because I'm going to need another tune. But this is probably the last $600 bucks I have to spend on mods for at least another year.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

where are you in san diego? im in vista/san marcos

Search this Thread