Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pen Magnets Blow

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pen Magnets Blow

Well a buddy and I were just working on the cam swap and got the driver side rod in the block when I just wanted to check that we did indeed get the rod in far enough by clicking the last lifter and pulling up on it a bit. Put the magnet down in there and it clicked all right... The damn thing brok off while now stuck like a **** on the lifter

How the hell do I get it out of there... and of course it is #7 which makes it even easier to get at.

I was so upset I wanted to try anything tonight but know that i'd drop something else down the damn hole. I searched and saw that someone else tried more magnets and even JB weld (I thought about super glue when my last brain cell said post and ask first)

I hope to god there is a way to get this out without pulling the damn head.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

I have a tool that is a long narrow flexible thing with a 4 prong hook on one end and a little handle on the other. If you could get this down the hole, pull the handle to open the 4 prongs and grab the magnet, it might work. I'll try to find a pic of it... I hope you don't have to pull the head either, I had to when I found a rocker retainer and some needle bearings down a pushrod hole
Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 PM

Here it is, the one with the blue box end is a magnet, the other one is the one to try. It has 4 prongs that come out the bottom when the handle is pulled, it's some kind of pick-up tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1826
Old 08-12-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

i just used the push rod and it came out on it.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

can you get that at a local place like sears / autozone / pep boys etc.?

I think that would go down the hole I just dont know if it will have the ***** to dislodge my "hurculean" magnet... (i should have gone cheap on the magnets)
Old 08-12-2004, 11:28 PM

I don't know, Sears, etc might have one. We have a Harbor Frieght here and my dad seems to love that place to buy me cheap tools for Christmas. I actually used this grabber a lot, everytime I dropped a tool in front of the a/c condensor during my build-up, lol. It's actually pretty strong, I've picked up some pretty good size tools with it. Other places might have it or some variation. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the insight. I want to be able to sleep tonight I just found a semi-similar tool on sears website so I guess I have my work cutout for me tomorrow night... damn and it was going very easy too..... nothing's easy
Old 08-13-2004, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

well.. i got the tool and not much luck. I can't really tell what's going on down there because I can't picture it in my mind. I know that the pushrod sticks up about an inch further in #7 as opposed to 1,3 or 5 so it seems like the magnet is just sitting there.

I still can not get it out though. I tried another magnet as well and that would do it. I think because a piece of the telescoping handle is in there it is making it difficult to get at the actual magnet piece.

What else?? Willing to try about anything.. I do not want to have to pull the heads or anything.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:29 PM

Man that sux. I feel for you. Sounds like it's time to get creative.

If a part of the telescopic handle is still on the magnet, you might try to find some substance that you could place on the tip of something to put down onto the handle and let it bond and harden to it. Or some really sticky bubblegum type substance.

Maybe something like a thick JB Weld, just a little dab of it on the end of an old pushrod or something. Problem is you don't want to get any of it stuck in the pushrod hole permanently. Hmm.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Had the same thing happen to me. What we ended up doing was using a pick with some super glue on the tip. Fished around in the hole until we could get the pick into the telescoping part of the magnet. Let it sit and then pulled it out. Took a couple hours of playing, but managed to get it out.

Here is apic of what we ended up with.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stalker WS6
Here is apic of what we ended up with.
where's the pic? lol
Old 08-14-2004, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Hehehe....sorry.....working on resizing.

And attached. Sorry about that guys.
Attached Thumbnails Pen Magnets Blow-kennytool1.jpg  
Old 08-14-2004, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for the pic.. I might have to give that a shot... problem is I can't see jack back there... if only I had done this on #1 and not #7
Old 08-14-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Not a problem. And I wish you luck. Mine happened on #2. But it still was a hassle because we just had to feelaround with the pick. Wasn't much to really look at. Keep us posted on what happens.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny5
thanks for the pic.. I might have to give that a shot... problem is I can't see jack back there... if only I had done this on #1 and not #7
good luck on the install.