Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption before new motor; Same consumption with new motor

Old 08-13-2004, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption before new motor; Same consumption with new motor

Ok, heres the deal, I have an 01 Z28 with a brand new fully built 408ci short block that was installed last week, motor has about 750 miles on it. The low oil light tripped after the first 730 miles . I'm sure this isnt normal for a new motor, this is why I am so confused, because the car also ate oil like this before the new motor. Other mods are Patriot SII 5.3 heads, TR 227, full bolt ons and full tune. My main focus now is on valve seals. I did a search on valve seal problems with Patriot heads and came across some other people with valve seal problems on their Patriots. Also I saw that Patriot switched there valve seals on there heads a while ago. I was one of the first people to jump on the Patriot band wagon almost a year ago, so i think i may have these "older" valve seals. Does anyone know why Patriot decided to change the seals? Is there a problem with them? If there IS a problem with them why hasnt Patriot contacted people or put a recall on these?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you do the install the motor and put it together or did somebody else? I imagine you could have oil consumption coming from a few spots. If you didn't use thread sealer on the rocker studs you may have oil consumption problems. Also did you convert it to a LS6 PCV system? That could also be a source of the consumption. New motors are also prone to consume alittle oil at first due to the rings breaking in and not fully seated. All those factors combined with the bad valve seals you may have can add up to an oil consumption problem.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kossuth
did you do the install the motor and put it together or did somebody else? I imagine you could have oil consumption coming from a few spots. If you didn't use thread sealer on the rocker studs you may have oil consumption problems. Also did you convert it to a LS6 PCV system? That could also be a source of the consumption. New motors are also prone to consume alittle oil at first due to the rings breaking in and not fully seated. All those factors combined with the bad valve seals you may have can add up to an oil consumption problem.
I did not do the work my self, Keith Craft Motorsports assembled and put the motor in, If i did all the work myself i would probably blame the motor, but I dont think the KCM motor has anything to do with it. Also i have catch can on my PCV and it sure as hell isnt catching as much oil as the motor is eating.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Well, if it isn't in the PCV then it is is eithor in the heads IE rocker bolts or the valve seals. Might be a good idea to replace valve seals. Pull your intake manifold and see if your intake ports are coated with oil. If they are then more than likely the source is the cylinder heads. I'm suspicious of the heads anyways. Good luck
Old 08-13-2004, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

My low oil light comes on whenever it takes a notion. I NEVER saw the low oil light before my new motor. However; the motor is not low on oil when this light comes on.
Have you checked to be sure you're really low on oil or if it's just an oversensitive light? Also my 402 likes 10w40 synthetic. It used a lot more oil when it was on the 10w30. Yes check your plugs to see if there is wet looking oil on them. If so, try silicone sealer on the rocker arm bolts first.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DH01Z28
Does anyone know why Patriot decided to change the seals? Is there a problem with them? If there IS a problem with them why hasnt Patriot contacted people or put a recall on these?
From what I have read the reasoning was because people were having lots of oil consumption issues. They have since switched to a much better seal that fixed this problem for those suffering from the valve seal issue.

Are you physically checking your oil level or are you just relying on the low oil light meter?
Old 08-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Teching In

I checked the oil the night before the light came on....and it was right below the crosshatch lines on the ADD line......I had planned on changing it the next day anyway so i didnt add any, and since the shop put Castrol in the motor for start up and the first 500 or so miles, i didnt add any nor did i have any Castrol, "real oil" ,lying around the garage, only synthetic.... and I talked to Gunnar at Patriot and he has sent me a set of their new viatan rubber valve seals, free of charge .....got my fingers crossed, hope this is it.

Search this Thread