Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust scraping

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 03:30 PM
...with cheese.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust scraping

I bought the car with an exhaust setup on it. It's got long tubes and a "custom" Y-pipe. I lowered the car a little bit and I swear the exhaust is 1/2 inch off the ground. You can't turn a coke can over and role it under it. What is a good Y-pipe you guys can recommend with no cats that I can just replace the crap with. I'm tired of scraping everything I drive over. I EVEN HIT THE REFLECTORS IN THE MIDDLE WHEN I CHANGE LANES! ...Just looking for a recommendation on a good highflow no cat Y-Pipe!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they are SLP LTs then you will always have a problem with a lowered car. Find out what brand they are and then you can determine what y pipe will work. If you have no way of knowing what brand, then go with a custom y pipe, most exhaust shops will do one for under $175, just be sure and get the Flowmaster merge collector.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Armageddon
I bought the car with an exhaust setup on it. It's got long tubes and a "custom" Y-pipe. I lowered the car a little bit and I swear the exhaust is 1/2 inch off the ground. You can't turn a coke can over and role it under it. What is a good Y-pipe you guys can recommend with no cats that I can just replace the crap with. I'm tired of scraping everything I drive over. I EVEN HIT THE REFLECTORS IN THE MIDDLE WHEN I CHANGE LANES! ...Just looking for a recommendation on a good highflow no cat Y-Pipe!
You may not even have to purchase a new y-pipe. Get you car SAFELY lifted off the the ground and take a look at everything. The poor ground clearance may be the result of a bad install. Loosen all of the clamps holding the y-pipe in place and try adjusting in a few different combinations. If you can get it in a position you like, hold the y-pipe where it is and tighten the clamps. The y-pipe will stay in that position once the clamps are tightened and you may be able to save yourself some money. If that doesn't work then a new y is probably your only option.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:00 PM
...with cheese.

I'm gonna take a couple pics. It's already a custom rig... I just took a look at it again and I'm speechless...
Old 08-13-2004, 06:34 PM
...with cheese.

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Ar...n-exhaust1.jpg
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/Ar...n-exhaust3.jpg

As you can see from the second link. The headers sit at a perfectly acceptable height. This custom fab Y-pipe this guy had done makes no sense to me. It sits that low all the way back to the mufflers. Then just jumps up into the muffler nest in the back. Whatever... If I recall they are pacesetter? not sure. I know for a fact they are not SLP.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:56 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Y-pipe is a hack job! If they are Pacesetters then get yourself a Pace setter y-pipe.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Scratch my idea. That thing that is supposed to be a y pipe needs to be replaced...bad!!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:16 PM
...with cheese.

That Y pipe sucks.......... man. I'll get a real one that actually fits the damn car! Thanks for backing my decision