Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

TSP ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down TSP ported TB

No rwhp gains even after LS1 edit retune.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:57 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take it to the track :shrug:
Old 08-15-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been very skeptical of three of the mods everyone does.

1) Free Ram Air, I just don't see it, you are pulling air off the radiator, it's got to be hotter. I just raised the front of my airbox and sealed the back.

2) Ported TB: Just doesn't seem to be anything to be had here and you proved my hunch to be correct. Also, everyone tries to get the butterfly plate to 90 degrees. Tell you the truth, opening a valve from 85 to 90 degrees will not increase flow one bit.

3) Pulley: I'm sure this is worth a little bit, but not the 8 to 10 people claim. The lower inertia of the balancer is worth less than 1 hp in 4th gear. Worth more in the lower gears because the engine accelerates more quickly. However, I wasn't willing to sacrifice my A/c in Arizona.

So with cutout, Stainless Works headers through CATS, and a TSP 224R camshaft my car dynoed 381 hp today. That's right in line with other 224/header cars that have the above three mods.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:14 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gained 1 mph with each of the 3 items listed above, as they went on my mod list, for a total of 3 mph gained at the traps. Tangible gains.
Plus, I run AC in Miami (much needed) all the time with the pulley- no problems.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

I run my AC in El Paso with a pulley to. Oh and ported TB was worth 10 rwhp on mine. Dyno to prove it.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3 mph gain is right at 30 hp gain. So if I do these three things I'll put out 411 hp which would be extremely high for a stock head, 224 cammed car. I don't doubt that you picked up 3 mph, but they were probably different nights, different weather, and different track conditions. Too many variables. I would think that with a 224 cam and stock heads the most I've seen is around 390, so maybe 10 hp for all of the mods combined would be more realistic.

Thanks for the input on the A/C, that's good to know.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennhl
I have been very skeptical of three of the mods everyone does.

1) Free Ram Air, I just don't see it, you are pulling air off the radiator, it's got to be hotter. I just raised the front of my airbox and sealed the back.

2) Ported TB: Just doesn't seem to be anything to be had here and you proved my hunch to be correct. Also, everyone tries to get the butterfly plate to 90 degrees. Tell you the truth, opening a valve from 85 to 90 degrees will not increase flow one bit.

3) Pulley: I'm sure this is worth a little bit, but not the 8 to 10 people claim. The lower inertia of the balancer is worth less than 1 hp in 4th gear. Worth more in the lower gears because the engine accelerates more quickly. However, I wasn't willing to sacrifice my A/c in Arizona.

So with cutout, Stainless Works headers through CATS, and a TSP 224R camshaft my car dynoed 381 hp today. That's right in line with other 224/header cars that have the above three mods.
I agree with the free ram air being lame ( Ive done it ) but the pulleys and tb's are great mods. Look inside your stock tb and tell me what you see. That big square-*** hole doesnt help flow at all , gitting rid of half the throttle shaft on the ramp side and sloothing the whole thing out cant help but increse top end flow and reduce turbulance.

So with cutout, Stainless Works headers through CATS, and a TSP 224R camshaft my car dynoed 381 hp today. That's right in line with other 224/header cars that have the above three mods
With a your mods plus a jantzer tb, asp pulley, also through cats and a slightly smaller 224 220 581 581 116lsa cam I did 390 rwhp / 372 rwtq sae corrected basicaly untuned A/f
Old 08-15-2004, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Pulley: I'm sure this is worth a little bit, but not the 8 to 10 people claim. The lower inertia of the balancer is worth less than 1 hp in 4th gear. Worth more in the lower gears because the engine accelerates more quickly. However, I wasn't willing to sacrifice my A/c in Arizona.

pulley helped me out about a tenth in the quater
Old 08-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Launching!

I picked up 5rwhp and 9rwtq (peak) from the Janzter ported TB on a bolt on car, plus it picked up load's of torque under the curve. Was worth it for me
Old 08-15-2004, 09:45 AM

I think with a car that has not had a tune, the ported TB leans it out and therefore increases HP. But If your A/F is already good and you have to retune for the extra air, there are no gains.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:32 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

3 mph gain is right at 30 hp gain. So if I do these three things I'll put out 411 hp which would be extremely high for a stock head, 224 cammed car. I don't doubt that you picked up 3 mph, but they were probably different nights, different weather, and different track conditions. Too many variables. I would think that with a 224 cam and stock heads the most I've seen is around 390, so maybe 10 hp for all of the mods combined would be more realistic.

True, 30hp gained from those 3 mods is not realistic, nor did I claim 30hp gains. I claimed 3 mph (115-118mph when I was running cam-only). Yes, they were on different days under different conditions at the same track, but I was happy to see the gains nonetheless... at least it makes one think that the mod money is paying off in track results...
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Pulley's have been used for years on many different types of cars with many different proof's of their gains & some of their shortcomings. Possible overheating of the car, in ability to fully charge the battery & people not believing that they work when they actually do.

You need to get a 25% march pulley and put it against a stock pulley and look at the differences. They work. 6-10 hp is 6-10 hp it's just a negligable gain, nothing that you are gonna feel SOTP.

Also you could go Dyno your car again on the same dyno and get totally different numbers. That show that your TB did show some gains. But there are too many dyno sheets showing about a 6 RWHP gain average for a Well Ported TB And you are one of the only people running around saying that they got no gains from a ported TB. Either you got a bad unit, innacurate dyno or Just 6 rwhp is really hard to track with any small atmospheric change you could gain or lose 6 rwhp in a heart beat.

Throttle bodies are a good mod, once you've done almost all the other bolt on's. Also most people know that ported TB's show better gains with cammed cars than with stock cammed cars.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LMAO, I put out 402/378 with a 222 cam and stock heads. It can be done it just depends on the car.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are talking me into the pulley and ported tb with all your posts. So what are the downsides to these mods. Remember I live in AZ so overheating is always a concern. Are there any driveability issues with the ported TB?

Southfl.02.ss,
There is a horsepower estimator located at: http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Plug in 115, then 118 with a 3500 pound weight and you'll see a 34 hp increase needed to gain those 3 mph.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I think with a car that has not had a tune, the ported TB leans it out and therefore increases HP. But If your A/F is already good and you have to retune for the extra air, there are no gains.
The tb does not lean things out.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:46 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

You guys are talking me into the pulley and ported tb with all your posts. So what are the downsides to these mods. Remember I live in AZ so overheating is always a concern. Are there any driveability issues with the ported TB?

Southfl.02.ss,
There is a horsepower estimator located at: http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Plug in 115, then 118 with a 3500 pound weight and you'll see a 34 hp increase needed to gain those 3 mph.

Let's put it this way. I had stuffed a 231/237 cam in there (large cam at the time) with stock heads and stock TB. It responded very well to the Super Sucker Ram Air and the Jantzer ported TB which came after the cam swap.
So, as mentioned by someone else in this thread, Ported TB gains are more significant for Cammed applications when compared to stock internal applications. I did not gain 30hp, but the mph increase was significant enough (due to better intake when going down the track).
After being tuned for the cam and stock TB, when I bolted on the ported TB, I did have some cold start idle issues. After the head swap the car was retuned and things are fine again.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

no downside to the tb. it does not lean out your car. the maf is there to record how much air is being taken in to add fuel. the more air it records, the more fuel it delivers.

i don't think there is a downside to the pulley either. i guess if you had a stereo system you might need the charging. i have never had any problems with over heating sitting in dallas traffic for 2 hours (in a 440rwhp car). this was with the AC blowing ice cold as well. my temps never got above 182* either.

both of these mods, i believe, have proven themselves over and over to be good mods.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=glennhl]You guys are talking me into the pulley and ported tb with all your posts. So what are the downsides to these mods. Remember I live in AZ so overheating is always a concern.

I live in El Paso, TX a couple hours away (temps are similiar 100-115+ in the summer) I have a pulley, ported throttle body, and a cam (110 LSA) and I have no issues except the 91 octane gas (run electron blue 116 octane every so often to help with that). Nice mods at a low price. Go for it. If for some odd reason you do not like the results keep your stock stuff and change back.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed a SOTP difference with my 01 Z after I did the FRA. On my SS, I didn't notice anything - it almost seemed as if it was slower. I'm almost tempted to get a new panel to see if it makes a difference.

I really don't think it'll hurt though - it's all in your head.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Unusual T/A
The tb does not lean things out.
Not true in my case. Before the janzter tb my a/f was a constant 12.8. After the TB it jumped to 13.4. Once we added a little bit of fuel, everything was fine and still saw good gains.