Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

runing straigh headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runing straigh headers

can i run straight headers with no problom i am getting my y pipe and o2 sims next week but i dont want to wait and if so what do i do with the back 02 censor
Old 08-16-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The back 02 sensors can be unplugged, but the front 2 (on the new LTs) must be there in order for the car to run correctly!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

You can, but it will be extremely, extremely LOUD. I wouldn't do it.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Just make sure you have O2 extensions so you can hook up the front O2's. There are frequently posts about running open header on the board, do a search on open header It sounds SOOO badass and is CRAZY LOUD FWIW: I ran open header for over a MONTH waiting for my duals apointment
Old 08-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Hahahahahaa, I have the same delima - either I drive to a lift and then drive back to weld up the y-pipe or I ghetto rig some system of weights, pullies, jackstands, and 2x4's to pick my car 3 feet off the ground to clear the headers. Either way, I am definitely cruisin the car with open headers(probably around 1 or 2 in the morning)
Old 08-17-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

I have been running with my cutouts open off an on for about half the summer (keep them open for a week or 2 then close them for a week or two) with no problems. I have had them open for about the last month straight. I like it but others may disagree...definitely makes the car sound intimidating sitting there loping at a stoplight with open headers
Old 08-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Default headers

thank you that helps
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

I ran open headers for a month waiting on my y-pipe.
You cab do it, but it's crazy loud. Especially with a cam! But the car runs like ***. It will draw vaccum when you let off the gas and suck fresh air up the headers a little way. Your 02's can read this causing a lean condition in the eyes of the computer. It will in turn add fuel and boom. Backfiring like a sumofabitch.
My car ran WAY faster and smoother once the exhaust was hooked up.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Dont do it with your o2's hooked up. They are at the end of the collector and fresh air can contaminate the readings causing the computer to continually add fuel +25 ltrims. Fuel mileage goes to hell, eyes start burning, stuttering and not to mention under prolonged periods you MAY wash your cylinder walls down causing you to have to get your rings rebuilt.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Dont do it with your o2's hooked up. They are at the end of the collector and fresh air can contaminate the readings causing the computer to continually add fuel +25 ltrims. Fuel mileage goes to hell, eyes start burning, stuttering and not to mention under prolonged periods you MAY wash your cylinder walls down causing you to have to get your rings rebuilt.
What the hell are you telling him?! You make it sound as if he should do it without his O2's hooked up! Yes, the fuel mileage is bad, no your eyes don't typically start burning, no typical stuttering.....I have read many threads about open header and never has anyone said anything like this . Sure it runs pig rich but it doesn't hurt anything. Did you have a bad experience or what?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Default headers

so do you run lean or rich
Old 08-17-2004, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
What the hell are you telling him?! You make it sound as if he should do it without his O2's hooked up! Yes, the fuel mileage is bad, no your eyes don't typically start burning, no typical stuttering.....I have read many threads about open header and never has anyone said anything like this . Sure it runs pig rich but it doesn't hurt anything. Did you have a bad experience or what?
Yes he should do it without the o2's hooked up. IF YOU RUN WITH OPEN HEADERS AND O2 sensors you will push the PCM to compesate and the LTRIMS WILL hit +25. This isnt good and you will be sorry if your cylidner wall wash down. I have seen this happen with my own two eyes and right after me driving around like this I disconnected them and forced the car to run in open loop.

The o2 sensors are too close to the edge of the collector. Air will contaminate the readings. Do you even know how the o2 sensor works and the effects it has on the car when they are contaminated with FRESH air. At idle your injector pulse widths will be 10 ms this is 40% dutycycle you do the math
Old 08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Derek98z
It will draw vaccum when you let off the gas and suck fresh air up the headers a little way. Your 02's can read this causing a lean condition in the eyes of the computer. It will in turn add fuel and boom. Backfiring like a sumofabitch.
My car ran WAY faster and smoother once the exhaust was hooked up.

This says the same thing it just doesnt go into too much detail
Old 08-17-2004, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/203355-open-headers-o2.html

here is something to wet the whistle of you who tink open headers are cool
Old 08-18-2004, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203355

here is something to wet the whistle of you who tink open headers are cool
That link doesn't prove didly squat I said right off the bat that it would run pig rich. I still fail to see why it shouldn't be done.

And I ABSOLUTEY DO NOT think that you should EVER run without the front 02's hooked up!!! Can a third (and possibly fourth, etc) party reading this post anything concrete on this please?

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 08-18-2004 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

If you run without the fron o2 the car will run in open loop and off the open loop fuel air tables. The same tables the car uses when you crank it up in the morning until it warms up. There are plenty of people running around with no front 02's BUT they have a wideband in place. Either way this isnt a smart idea whether you have the 02's or not.......
Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Your neighbors will hate you. I finished my header install around 12 midnight on a Tuesday and fired her up. My neighbors were in my garage within 20 minutes in their night wear. Whatever you do, get O2 extensions so you dont **** up your ECU.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Huh??? What??? Did you say open headers??? I'm sorry, say again?? I can't hear you DO IT!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Thank You Iam Going To Do It This Weekend I Let You Know What I Think
Old 08-19-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not reccomend open headers, without some sort of extension on the end of the collector. As stated before, fresh air will enter the collector and car foul out the O2 sesnors which are not cheap to replace. Some people havent had any problems, but it's just a precaution.