Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header bolt advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header bolt advice

When I installed my headers, I also bought some Stage 8 Locking header bolts to put on. I've put almost all the bolts on, but have run into 2 problems. What is the best way to get the locking clips onto the bolts? I've already dropped and lost a few trying to get them on. My second problem lies in that a few of the Stage 8 bolts won't even start to thread on in some of the holes. Is there any logical explanation for this? My stock bolts all fit into the holes that the Stage 8 bolts won't. Any help is great as always. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody at all knows. Come on guys, I really need the advice on this one.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

sorry to say but re-use the stock bolts and don't force the stage 8's in cause you may cross thread them or the heads thread..If you really want to use the new bolts I recommend to re tap the holes your having problems with them put in the bolts.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Launching!

or look at the end of the bolt....the end of the thread is probably all chewed up,orrr the very end thread doesnt come down far enough.try using a file to complete the thread.good luck!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
sorry to say but re-use the stock bolts and don't force the stage 8's in cause you may cross thread them or the heads thread..If you really want to use the new bolts I recommend to re tap the holes your having problems with them put in the bolts.
I think I'll use some filing and retap the holes as well. That's a good idea. I have 9 or the 12 Stage 8 bolts already in. I just don't want my headers to walk out on me and burn up the gaskets. Any suggestions for getting the locking clips on?