Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who's gonna write the book??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking So who's gonna write the book??

Everybody's been trying to figure out the inner workings of these PCM's since 1997. There's tons of websites with lots of good information. There's a boatload of info out now, from calculating for tire height, right down to proper VE table tuning. From spark timing, to O2 voltages.

Now my question is...
Who's gonna compile all this, add in the formulas, tips, tricks, and write the biography on tuning GEN III's???
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was your idea, you do it.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im ready for it or at least a sticky with the IDEAL values and how to change them(what tables to edit)
Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

How about this idea...
Get together a group of people to work towards a book. Maybe each person would be responsible for a certain section ex : PE, Cruise, ect. Then compile it all together to form a type of book or guide.

What I'm trying to say is maybe make it a group effort.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I'm ready for the tuning package that will still utilize the stock PCM, give you the logging and editing features that are already out there, PLUS integrated WB, PLUS the software will be able to correlate the data it takes in from logging and will be able to write/tune your car within 90 percent of where the tune needs to be, with the end user only having to fine tune it to his specs all in an easy to use format for the everyday wrencher/guy. Now this is what is needed out there, because I really don't see the masses including me that know how to fully utilize LS1edit and HPtuners full capabilities.....especially when set ups go beyond the H/C range. Can this be done with our cars? Probably. Just have to find an engineer that likes to simplify things instead of complicating things up with a great tuning program that he and a few others understand thoroughly.

Thats something I won't mind paying for.
Right now I have 3 things that work well but not together, LS1edit, EFIlive, and an LM-1 WBO2 that aren't really doing me **** other than providing a tuner info to do this stuff for me, when he has the time.....Thanks Kevin, I appreciate it
Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
It was your idea, you do it.
I'm a firm believer in people that know what they're doing, doing the leading.
I'll happily admit that I'm very much an amatour here.
Besides, give credit where credit is due.

I'd even be happy with one extremely well done website.
Don't get me wrong, I love the forums i visit, but if it were all there organized and in logical order, it'd make things a lot easier.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Don't get me wrong, I love the forums i visit, but if it were all there organized and in logical order, it'd make things a lot easier.
Ding, ding, ding..... Give that man a prize
Old 08-17-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know who would write a book like that

I guess one of the tuning companies who gives you base files and real customer service can start doing this.

Ryan
Old 08-17-2004, 05:35 PM
12 Second Truck Club

How about we round up some of them GM engineers that created the PCM's and get them to do it. They most likely understand the damn things more than any of us since it's their baby. Also find out what the hell they were thinking.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Here, I'll write the Introduction...

If you want to tune, you need three things:
1.) Dedication
2.) Necessary Tools
3.) More Dedication

If you don't have all of both, then pay to have someone else do it.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think anybody knows enough yet about how it really works. What we really need is to find a GM engineer that brought a little extra work home that he wants to share with us. I bought a book that is specifically about modifying PCMs. It's crap. General crap, that tells you nothing that you can't already find on the Internet. So many tables do so many things, and the only people that really know are the people that designed the darn thing. What we need is a book that says "Mr. GM Engineer, if you wanted to make the PCM in one of your vehicles do this, what would you do?", and then explains what to do, and why. There is a reason (I hate to admit) that each one of those tables exists, and each one has a specific purpose based on the operating characteristics of the engine. We need to know under what conditions to change each, and a list of things that people do and what changes would be needed. Not this crap that people throw together in a book and sell to us. We need the GM programmers manual dammit!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

I think most people are looking for a better explaination of the affects of changing tables. For example,

If I lower/raise the values in 'Fuel Air Multipler' table, what affects would that cause?

Or

What does the 'Long Term Fuel Trim Control' table do and what are the affects of changing its values?

I, myself, am not looking for a book that will tell me I can go fast if I do X, Y, and Z. I can figure that out if I knew that the tables where and their affects of being modified.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess gameover or the other hptuners guys, because it is my understanding that he actually reads the code in the pcm. There are lots of things you would never figure out without looking at the actual code, like the way maf is weighted against sd calcs, idle trims, etc.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack
I would guess gameover or the other hptuners guys, because it is my understanding that he actually reads the code in the pcm. There are lots of things you would never figure out without looking at the actual code, like the way maf is weighted against sd calcs, idle trims, etc.
True, they are really good. But only the designers know exactly what where and why you would make changes to the PCM.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1290
I think most people are looking for a better explaination of the affects of changing tables. For example,

If I lower/raise the values in 'Fuel Air Multipler' table, what affects would that cause?
Good point. I've come across some sites that explain the absolute basics of LS1Edit, but a breakdown like that would be very valuable. You could also add why you might want to change that set of values...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

I had a post out here earlier today... I'm TOTALLY up for compiling info for an up-to-date FAQ. Not Edit, HPT, EFI Live, or Autotap specific. Just general tuning, logging info.

I don't trust my tuning skills enough right now to go ahead and start anything.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by P Mack
Gameover would be a good coauthor.

NoGo would be the Best at authoring a text on tuning - hands down. He has the realworld experience and the knowledge of engine management systems. He also has a knack for distilling info into cogent thoughts.

Unfortunately, They both seem to be VERY busy with other projects. FWIW.

NoGo is THE MAN!!!!
joel
Old 08-17-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

NoGo...Gameover.....can you help us newbies out with a faq. Something like an explaination on what "ideal values" are and what to change to make the values go up and down? Im sure just about everyone would use it in this fourm. I can host it if needed.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

They can treally tell you what needs to go up and down because combinations are very different, I guess what would be helpful is to break down each table tell us what it affects and its corelation to something in the real world. From there we should be able to make good decisions on what needs to and what doesnt need to be tuned

If me, another_user, mark_w, bink and the lot of us keep going at it with the pcm we wil have figured it all out soon enough