Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, bet you've never seen/heard of this shit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, bet you've never seen/heard of this ****...

Okay, really hard to explain, but here I go. In short, I have a problem. In length, very confusing. Today, I started my addiction to mods. I bought a "whisper" lid, !EGR, and did the free !AIR. My car was running great. Though I still have not had the codes taken out, which could be the sollutiuon, the car should run normal, but with a service engine soon light. Now, here is the mystery of the whole damn thing. I drove my car a few times today. About 4 hours or so after my mods, my car made this funny *** rattling sound. Here is the suck part, it only makes the sound once I break 45 mph, not matter what gear I am in. My friend is a really big gear head, I know a few things, and I have never, ever heard this. The rattling/fluttering, whatever the **** you want to call it, only happens when I stay at a constant throttle. If I push it down about half way, it goes away. Cruising on the other hand, it, in all honesty, pisses me off. Help me, I have a huge headache. Is the codes all I need to fix, or is there a bigger, yet more complicated side to this?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Since you did the !EGR and !AIR mods, what exactly did you use to block off the manifolds/headers and the intake? Make sure you have all three holes on the manifolds/headers blocked off and they have a tight seal. Same goes for the intake manifold, use a 1 3/8" freeze plug to seal it. Another thing you could check is the little vacuum line that goes to the back of the driver's side valve cover (it goes to where the AIR lines connected). Make sure this is also plugged off. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Okay, bet you've never seen/heard of this shit...-air2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

what would leaving those air lines uncapped do? i dont have mine capped...
Old 08-18-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

There was this little plug that I bought that goes the intake manifold. The !AIR was just cutting that peice out from under the filter. That's all I did. That valve thing you showed me a picture of Doesn't look familiar with anything I messed with.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, then you did the FRA mod (free ram air), not the !AIR. The one I'm reffering to deletes your cars air pump and lines that run to your exhaust manifolds (emissions purposes). So, did you actually take off the whole EGR pump, or just cut off the protruding part in the intake manifold? If you completely took it off, make sure the hole at the intake manifold has a good seal, along with the hole at the exhaust manifold via a block off plate.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I unplugged the air pump from that stock box that is in there, but that is it.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

You unplugged the hose that runs to the stock air lid? If you did, then did you use any type of breather on the end of the hose? This probably isn't the noise you're hearing at 45 mph, but you need to put some type of filter on that hose, since that is where the air is sucked in through for the air pump. I thought you had actually taken off the air pump, and ripped out all the air hoses running the exhaust manifolds.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Judging by the fact that nobody is sure wtf your exactly talking about, you should do a search and look at some how to's for the stuff you did to make sure you did them right. Good luck and welcome to the board!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

When i did the !EGR mod on my 00 the EGR tube was sealed to the manifold with a BRASS ring (this ring was replaced later in the year with rubber), well it fell into the manifold without me knowing and when i carnaked the car up guess where the ring went. Anyway the combustion chamber temps melted it after about 5 minutes of running the car at around 3k and there havent been any ill side effects from it. Car ran 12.7@108 with a cat back and gears on a shitty 60'
Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mnc2886
Okay, really hard to explain, but here I go. In short, I have a problem. In length, very confusing. Today, I started my addiction to mods. I bought a "whisper" lid, !EGR, and did the free !AIR. My car was running great. Though I still have not had the codes taken out, which could be the sollutiuon, the car should run normal, but with a service engine soon light. Now, here is the mystery of the whole damn thing. I drove my car a few times today. About 4 hours or so after my mods, my car made this funny *** rattling sound. Here is the suck part, it only makes the sound once I break 45 mph, not matter what gear I am in. My friend is a really big gear head, I know a few things, and I have never, ever heard this. The rattling/fluttering, whatever the **** you want to call it, only happens when I stay at a constant throttle. If I push it down about half way, it goes away. Cruising on the other hand, it, in all honesty, pisses me off. Help me, I have a huge headache. Is the codes all I need to fix, or is there a bigger, yet more complicated side to this?
You have to be more specific with your questions.
Free ram air is one I could gather. What EXACTLY did you do to the EGR and you mentioned something about the airpump but weren't very clear...

Old 08-18-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The air pump is just sitting there since I got my aftermarket lid and filter. The EGR is blocked off in the intake manifold with this gold thing with a rubber peice in the middle that expands to fill the hole. I have no doubt about it being sealed. I guess it is just the codes, or w/e, but Chris at speed demon is going to fix it for me. I really appreaciate the help. Sorry about the vagueness, I was just tired and all that. Appreciate it, later.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

hmm, interesting..uhm codes wont fix a damn thing if its a rattling noise, now if its a bucking type fluttering noise it could be caused by codes, but haveing them cleared wont do anything, IE: if you have a bad O2 sensor and you replace it, but dont clear codes, it will run fine and eventually the comp will run another test, see that is fine, and the light will go out, (code still stored just no lite) now if you dont fix the problems, and clear the codes, it will continue to run bad and throw the lite again.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you remove the whole EGR assembly fron the car. The tubes and valve with the electrical connection. One tube bolts to the exhaust manifold. The bracket bolts to the front of the pass side head. It sounds to me like you just pulled the tube out of the manifold and left everything on the car. If that is the case. you are hearing the exhaust gasses that would normally be going into the intake manifold. That only happens at cruise like you said. I didn't see you mention anything about covering a hole left in your exhaust manifold with any kind of block off plate.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

That weird sound you are describing sounds like the same thing that happened to me. It turns out I had a bad 02 senor make it read really really lean! It is also like hitting the rev limit but at lower rpms, a really scary sounding thing, and just as you said it would go away when I gave it more throttle. You maybe running really lean or have an air leak somewhere or your 02s are bad. But I bet if you hook it up to a scanner it would read LEAN, you just need to find out what is causing it to read so lean.