Stereo & Electronics - Trying to replace right side EL12 but cant find it, help?

z28 mayo
08-18-2004, 02:51 PM
My turn signals stopped working a while ago, through the help of you guys, i figured out its my EL12 flasher :) I've done a search already, and from what ive gathered its on the right side, about a foot from the steering column, near the radio...?

is this correct?

do i have to remove the radio then, cuz right now the only thing i have removed is the panel below the steering wheel and i cant find it for the life of me.

VIP1
08-18-2004, 04:25 PM
No you dont have to remove the radio. It is hidden behind the shin panel (which you have removed) to the right of the steering column. The flashers in our cars are thermal. They may look different than the EL12 which is electronic. I dont remember what they look like, but I think they are silver cylinders. :confused:

EDIT:
I found a picture of what a thermal flasher looks like (its from another car, but you'll get the idea). Its the silver cylinder.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

What does the EL12 look like?

z28 mayo
08-18-2004, 11:42 PM
No you dont have to remove the radio. It is hidden behind the shin panel (which you have removed) to the right of the steering column. The flashers in our cars are thermal. They may look different than the EL12 which is electronic. I dont remember what they look like, but I think they are silver cylinders. :confused:

EDIT:
I found a picture of what a thermal flasher looks like (its from another car, but you'll get the idea). Its the silver cylinder.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

What does the EL12 look like?

thanks for the help, my problem was not going deep enough. i took off the panel immediately beneath the steering column, i had to remove the one after it as well. thanks for calling it the "shin" panel cuz that really cleared things up for me :)

and yeah, the EL12 looks like the one pictured. its a silver cylinder about an inch wide and probably an inch tall.

VIP1
08-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Cool. Glad to be of help.