Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y pipe issues again

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y pipe issues again

i thought i fixed my issues but i got some banging last night and looked under the car and my y pipe is hitting my torque arm. this thing is tucked up very very well, too well in fact. the y pipe is resting on the torque arm so when i step on it, it bangs against it and i know im getting knock retard even with out pulling data from the computer cause teh car is feeling sluggish on acceleration.

any fixes to this? can i use a sawzall and cut a small nick in the torque arm without causing problems? should i just cut the y pipe and bend it down some and lose al ittle clearance?

Travis
Old 08-20-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

bumpage....I need to know of a good solution, valve spring mod wont work, can't use heater hose, its just the torque arm everywhere else i have great clearance...

can i grind off a small peice of the torque arm without causing too much damage or should i cut the pipe a little more?

Thanks
Travis
Old 08-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slik98z
bumpage....I need to know of a good solution, valve spring mod wont work, can't use heater hose, its just the torque arm everywhere else i have great clearance...

can i grind off a small peice of the torque arm without causing too much damage or should i cut the pipe a little more?

Thanks
Travis
I would grind on the pipe before I would grind on the ta. I have ypipe banging, too. But I don't believe it's the banging the ta. I'm going to try and have the pipe lowered somehow. I tried the rad hose fix but I was afraid it was going to catch fire.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

nah i've had the car up on the lift and see where its hitting exactly. My collectors on my headers were kinda crappy so i sawzalled them off and put some of my own on there, and t hen put then y pipe on it...it made for great clearance up until the back of the ypipe. Which actually rests on the torque arm.

Im thinking i might just need to cut a sorta wedge in the pipe and bend it down a little.

but i was wondering if anyone had any other fixes i could try as well.
T
Old 08-21-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could heat up the pipe yourself or have it done at an exhaust shop, heat up the pipe and bend it down some. You could also cut wedge and weld kinda like a plate to keep it from leaking, i dont know about the hp loss on that.