Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lg motorsports package on my car but which one?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lg motorsports package on my car but which one?!

i bought this car from a friend of mine and he put a head and cam package on this car and he has no idea which package what size, nothing. and remarkably lg motorsports keeps no records i guess, imagine that. i called them and the guy i talked to acted like it was a real strain on him to have to find a reciept showing what package was bought for my car and he couldnt find it anyway, is there any other way to know without pulling components and having them measured or something? i dont understand a big business like lg not having records of this purchase and it isnt like it was a million years ago. this package was bought back in april of this year!! another shop that did some of his work said that they thought he said that it was the 5.3 heads? he told me it was the zo6 heads(my friend) but most of the time he has no clue haha. he sometimes just talks out of his *** when he is not sure. if there is any way to know i would appreciate someone clueing me in. i just got the 383 stroker kit in for this because it has been messed up and sitting on a trailer since may but now it is finally being fixed it is in the shop now. and i dont want to have the wrong heads and cam on this motor and it not perform as well as it can. let me know guys thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

I had a bad experience with LG also. I ordered some center caps from them. A week later i called to see the status of the order. They were not coming into work untill 10:00 because of a storm. a Day later i called again at 3:00 on a friday. They had left early for the day, the only person there was the answering service. Then on monday i called back and takled to someone, and they had no idea what happened to my order. And on top of that, acted like i was a nusense because i wanted to check on my order that was place a week and a half ago. Then i was told that they had to check with SLP and they would send me a email. No email. I call back and was FINALLY told that my order would be shipped that day. A week later i finally get my parts. Thier costomer service sucks!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Cool

Well to figure out what the heads are look for the three digit casting numbers on top of the heads which you can see from looking down at your engine.

The numbers will be on either the right or left side depending on the kind of head it is.

Here's a pic, look for the 241 in the pic and that's the casting number.
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/...haustbolts.jpg

Here's some info on the different casting numbers.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...asting+numbers

Now to figure out what kind of cam and whatever stage heads you have, dynoing your car will give you an idea of what you have.

Otherwise you could pull the heads and cam out and have the heads flowed and the cam doctored.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest way to find out what heads you have is to look at the casting number.
If its a 243 it's a LS6 head.
Let us know what the number is on the head and we can help out.
As far as the cam your out of luck.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

what if you don't have a casting number, smooth where the number should be?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Launching!

yes lg cant handle someone calling and asking questions, thats not what they are there for i guess haha. thanks for the info guys, this should definitely help. as for lg i doubt they should ever expect to see me up there with even a bicycle especially if it has more than one gear like a mountain bike. anyway thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Hey, i know how you feel, i had bad customer reps with a smaller shop and my gears are still fucked up
Old 08-20-2004, 02:33 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeB.RamAir
what if you don't have a casting number, smooth where the number should be?

look on the other head
Old 08-20-2004, 02:38 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraeater
Now to figure out what kind of cam and whatever stage heads you have, dynoing your car will give you an idea of what you have.
um, no offence but what kind of answer is that . there is absolutely no way to extropolate cam specs from a dyno graph.

you can buy a cam checker like the one thunder sells here.

i agree with your second sentiments, if it were my car i'd pull the heads and have them fully spec'd and flowed and have my cam doctored. its best to know exactly what you are working with.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you could figure out the lift Intake and exhaust and it is for sure an lg cam. I bet we could find out what cam it is. The numbers on the heads will tell you what size the heads are but will not tell you if they are ported or if they are S1 or S2. I realy dont see a proble here though. You have to pull the heads to go on the new motor and same with the cam. Only way it could be a problem is if you are planning to do this swap in a weekend.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Launching!

yes i am planning on having this car tuned and on the road by labor day weekend. where should i have it tuned i live in north east texas and was thinking about taking it to lg and have them tune it hahaha just kidding they couldnt tune a radio. if anyone knows where i could go get this tuned for less than an arm and a leg let me know thanks.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by jrp
um, no offence but what kind of answer is that . there is absolutely no way to extropolate cam specs from a dyno graph.

you can buy a cam checker like the one thunder sells here.

i agree with your second sentiments, if it were my car i'd pull the heads and have them fully spec'd and flowed and have my cam doctored. its best to know exactly what you are working with.
I know you can't figure out the cam specs from a dyno graph. What I was saying is dyno the car and if it's making a good number like 420-450rwhp then he probably has stage II heads and a medium to large cam even then you can't still be sure what exactly the parts are. I would just dyno it out of curiousity myself.

fozziejared, what kind of other mods are on the car and what year is it? Is the car a M6 or A4 also?

I agree with goober, if you're going to be taking the heads and cam off anyway for the 383 build-up, just have the parts tested out then.

For tuning Fastech in Dallas is good, and also Chris Robinson is good.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Launching!

it is about to come out of the shop a 383 so that and a ram clutch a steel billet flywheel intake straight pipes thats about it i think. just some appearance items i think thats it.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Launching!

also i just checked the heads and they said 862 on both what head is that? let me know thanks.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

5.3's........
Old 08-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Launching!

are those good heads for a 383 motor?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

what if your casting numbers are not the same? on 5.3's like mine one says 706 and the other 862, with equal port job they will be ok right?