Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" 304 Stainless Steel Duals inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up 3" 304 Stainless Steel Duals inside

Got some 3" duals last week and I must say....WOW. They are all 304 stainless steel with Edlebrock 304SS mufflers. Link below shows some pics. I'll try to get a sound clip and a clearence shot tomorrow. I got them done by Tyson @ Performance Auto Fabrication down in Baltimore

3" 304SS duals

I had the system built with the option to swap between cats and off-road pipes. I bought the Dynomax Power cats to build the system to initially with the intention to throw in some straight pipes as my off road pipes. The cats fit right off my Kooks (so small) and the ORPs worked out great. I worked with the fabricator to find what bends would make life easier for him. I got all the Stainless Steel from Stainless Works. I had their X pipe reinforced with an extra plate and had various ends expanded for slip fitting. Great place to deal with and willing to help with my custom requests. The rest of the stuff like the clamps, mufflers and Cats were bought from from Jegs. Below is an except from my writeup.

SOUND:
They sound very deep. They are not loud at all. They rumble at idle, growl at part throttle and roar at WOT(not scream). I used to drive around with my ORY and cutout and it was loud and when I got on the gas, it sounded like ***. I didn't mind the cutout volume but it was just too raw, raspy and unrefined. The duals sound very crisp and have NO rasp and NO interior drone at all. When I decide on what cam to get and heads it should increase the volume and be very nice.

PERFORMACE:
I definately noticed better throttle response when I step on the gas. The car seems to take off quicker and when I let off the throttle the RPMs fall alot slower too.

CLEARENCE:
There isn't any clearence problems at all. There isn't any banging, or rattling coming from underneath. I'm not lowered but I don't think I would have any problems with the ground clearence at all if I dropped an 1". Its tucked up really great.

WORKMANSHIP:
Tyson worked with me for a good couple of months before I even made it down there. He has done many Fbody duals and was very knowledgable on the tight spots and bend angles need. His attention to detail was great. He spent alot of time setting up the angles for the pipe bends and just getting everything perfect. He tucked the X up in the tunnel so well that I am tempted to try out the chassis mount Spohn TA because it looks like it would fit. He was a great guy to do business with who didn't mind me helping out and hanging around all day. He sacrificed lunch and dinner and just wanted to keep working. He spent alot of time precisly TIG welding it together at the end and then polished the beads so good that you can just about make out the weld. This looks so good it should be on top of the car then under it.

Last edited by BLASTER; 08-22-2004 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Added fabricator info
Old 08-20-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just figured this out.....Tell me what you guys think. Thanks

Old 08-20-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome. He did a good job. Tucks up real nice. Mind me asking how much it set you back?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

That does look really nice. Congrats.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Very nice, I really like it.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

How about a close-up shot of the drivers side with the cat on? It doesn't look too easy to swap the pipes out unless they are butt connections? Do those sub frames hang below the pinch weld?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very
Old 08-21-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

That some nice work he did. It looks like it tucks up real nice! Hopefully my TSP duals look that good when they come next week. Try to get some sound clips.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The TSPs tuck up real nice dont worry. The bullets mufflers sit up 2 inches taller than that. Do those every rumb the ground?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those look great, I got your email a while back but haven't had a chance to add your system to LS1 Sounds yet. Let me know if you need some sound clips hosted!
Old 08-21-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please get some audio posted soon, I would like to hear this setup. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2004, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the compliments.

How about a close-up shot of the drivers side with the cat on? It doesn't look too easy to swap the pipes out unless they are butt connections? Do those sub frames hang below the pinch weld?
Can't get a shot with the cats in until I need to, since it will be a bitch to get them in. They are not butt end and your right, it isn't going to be easy but can be done by me in my driveway if need be. If I had access to a lift it would probably only take an hour to an hour and a half but I can do it on jackstands in a few hours with a helper. The SFC tuck up real nice. Ryan at UMI was very helpful and his prodects are top notch. You cant see them unless you are on the ground. They only peak out a 1/4"-1/2" below the frame rail.

I had my GF take some videos of me at idling and rolling around a parking lot but I didn't really like it. I also tried to get some on the highway but the wind was too powerful for the microphone and they came out like ****. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of clamps are those and where did you get
them? They look like the answer to the "my slip fit
connections leak" problems so many have complained
about.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
What kind of clamps are those and where did you get
them? They look like the answer to the "my slip fit
connections leak" problems so many have complained
about.

They are the ones from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...16&prmenbr=361
Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some clearence shots I just took. How do you guys like them?

General clearence

Muffler clearence

X pipe clearence

DS pipe clearence

SFC tucked away
Old 08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, that exhaust set up looks top notch, seems to tuck good and ground clearance looks good. Glad you liked the SFC's, the yellow looks sharp on the white car. I am anxiuos to hear those exhaust clips as well

Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-22-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats some very nice work
Old 08-22-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks really good and tucked, but I see you had to use a BFH to reform some of the floor board. Other than that it looks pretty straight forward. Did you have to flip the fuel line braket upside down, or move anything on the drivers side back floor pan area?
I can't wait to hear the sound clips!
Is there any drone in the cabin, and how loud is it inside the car compared to outside?
Nice work.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I have some sound clips but don't have anywhere to host them. Anyone know where I can link these? Thanks

I took the exhaust off the car just to prove I could and got an open hearder sound clip too.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Email them to me at chad@dodds.cc and I will put them up on www.ls1sounds.com then post the links here for you to use.