Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Non c-clip 12 bolt question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Non c-clip 12 bolt question.

What are the chances of the axles flying out of the axle tubes on non c-clip 12 bolts if you do lots of driving in twisties, etc?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. . . I just got done taking my 12-bolt apart for a gear swap. It would take a heck of a lot of damage to get the axle to fly out of the tube. I don't think that would be the failure mode from driving in twisties, I think you'd break a suspension or chassis component well before you could lose an axle. The axles are held in by a thrust bearing at each wheel (wheel bearings on non c-clip axles are thrust bearings). In order for the axle to leave the tube, the plate that holds the thrust bearing in would have to come away from the axle tube. There's 4 bolts holding that plate on, and it's a pretty stout piece.

To answer your question, I'd say "One in five hundred million."

EDIT: Since it's apart, I can e-mail you a pic of what the wheel bearing looks like. Let me know if you want it. My axles are still out, so it'll be like an exploded view diagram
Old 08-22-2004, 09:10 AM
kp
8 Second Club

They have a pretty solid press fit on those collars Levi, I would imagine the bearing itself would fail from the side loads well before the axle would slide out. You can always tack weld the collar on also if you are paranoid about it. Naturally if the ring was pressed on sideways and cracked it wouldnt take much for it to come out. I used to always tack-weld the rings on if it was a street car.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

kp, you sold the car? That thing was AWESOME!
Old 08-22-2004, 09:35 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I broke a piston last time out and was going to do a nice shortblock but I had a buyer for the car as-is and Ryan's car came up for sale with a 414 inch solid roller motor so I was able to swing it where its not going to cost me a ton of money to move into his. My car was headed in the race car only direction so it was a money saving move on my part - I think
Old 08-22-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
I broke a piston last time out and was going to do a nice shortblock but I had a buyer for the car as-is and Ryan's car came up for sale with a 414 inch solid roller motor so I was able to swing it where its not going to cost me a ton of money to move into his. My car was headed in the race car only direction so it was a money saving move on my part - I think
Makes perfect sense to me. That's a hell of a car you picked up!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

For lots of corner carving, you should be using tapered axle bearings, which eliminates the possiblilty of bearing failure from excessive side loading.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Where can you get tampered bearings for a Strange 12-bolt? How is this different from a c-clip elliminator design?

I imagine it's possible to use c-clips AND a c-clip elliminator kit at the same time. Would a c-clip help limit lateral loads on the bearings?

Is it common for Moser/Strange to supply c-clip-capable axles if the rear ordered has a c-clip eliminator?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
Where can you get tampered bearings for a Strange 12-bolt? How is this different from a c-clip elliminator design?

I imagine it's possible to use c-clips AND a c-clip elliminator kit at the same time. Would a c-clip help limit lateral loads on the bearings?

Is it common for Moser/Strange to supply c-clip-capable axles if the rear ordered has a c-clip eliminator?
The only axles that are c-clip capable are the 30 spline axles. Moser sells the tapered bearings...just call them and ask.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Teching In

I have a moser 12 bolt making noise on the passenger side when turning right..
also, the pan hard rod is smacking its self into the bar on top of the pan hard rod any way to fix this? what can i do??