Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam choice? Opinions please!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam choice? Opinions please!?

Hey, how you guys doing? Well I did some research a few months ago on cams and such and I ended up getting the LS1 hotcam because of the low lift reliability, cheap cost, and I love the lope that it gives off. Well recently I've been thinking with all these new cams out and such, I'm kind of having second thoughts about the hotcam. I kind of wanted to do heads down the line to compliment the cam, but with the hotcam I hear its worthless to do heads.
So basicly, I'm looking for a cam that gives off really good performance by itself, and is well mated with a set of heads, good driveability, and that have a crazy mean lope like the hotcam has. I also want a flat torque curve and to produce power all the way through the rpm range as well. Some cams I was looking at were the G5x2, G5x3, TRex, and a few others. The only issue I'm having with these are the high lifts on them, and the worry of springs breaking. I don't see the track much, and its not a daily driver either. Just a secondary car. Its a 2001 WS6 M6 with 20,000 miles if that matters. Well any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated, thanks a lot!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:48 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are really concerned with the high lift on the cams, you can get a custom cam made with a lot of duration (similar to the G5 cams or T-rex) with lower lift, maybe .550 or so. And also get it ground on lobes that aren't so aggressive, which will help spring life too. If you get a set of heads, you can also have a cam spec'd out to match the heads.

If the car isn't a daily driver, how many miles will it see a year? Mine is a weekend/cruise/track car and will probably take 2-3 yrs to see 15k miles, which is about how long a good set of springs should last with a high lift cam with aggressive lobes. So if you don't drive your's too much, replacing the springs every couple yrs really isn't too big of a deal.

Also, the bigger the cam, the higher in the rpm range it will make power too. So you might not want one over 230 or so duration anyway if you want a flat power curve. I know my T-rex kicks in pretty high up, but when it kicks in, it just FLIES. It still drives fine on stock tune and 3.42's though, just doesn't have neck snapping tq down low.

Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 08-22-2004 at 01:55 PM.