Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Stainless Headers and Y are best with GMMG (fitment and all)
Kooks
44.44%
QTP
55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

How do these headers compare?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do these headers compare?

With catalytic converters running through GMMG...or most other catbacks...(preferably GMMG) how do Stainless (I.E. Kooks/QTP/Stainless Works) compare to FLP LT's

Which performs better?
Which lasts longer and has better finish and durability?
which would be best for crappy schicago weather? is ceramoic coating a must for stainless?
Which SOUNDDDDDDSSSS better? Deep Throaty no rasp tthrough most catbacks excluding Borla and Loudmouth
Old 08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
With catalytic converters running through GMMG...or most other catbacks...(preferably GMMG) how do Stainless (I.E. Kooks/QTP/Stainless Works) compare to FLP LT's

Which performs better? All will be about the same
Which lasts longer and has better finish and durability? Stainless
which would be best for crappy schicago weather? is ceramoic coating a must for stainless? Stainless coating is kinda pointless, stainless is enough
Which SOUNDDDDDDSSSS better? Deep Throaty no rasp tthrough most catbacks excluding Borla and Loudmouth Catbacks will basically sound the same through any LT. The brand of LT wont change the sound from other LT's, at least noticeably.
Basically, if you can get Stainless get them. All the brands who make stainless are great, you cant go wrong with either. GMMG sounds insane with LT's/Cats by the way...
Old 08-22-2004, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

ALL Opinions are greatly appreciated guys...thanks for your post 16rollininaws6
Old 08-22-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

well 16rollin pretty much summed it up. If you can afford it, by all means go for a stainless steel set of headers, kooks or qtp in my book. then through gmmg on out the back if you're goin with a cat back. there will be no rasp involved if you use a catted y-pipe. w/o cats, gmmg still doesn't experience much rasp, at least not compared to LM or borla.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

if not going stainless, go pacesetter, no doubt
Old 08-22-2004, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

price isnt going to be an issue...if you needa kno that...doing ceramic coating on stainless will make them look nicer orrect? what else would it do...and also other oppinions id appreciate very much
Old 08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

it'd make them shiney, yea. won't really do much else. thats why stainless steel are popular, they don't need to be coated. they are already weather-resistant. if price isn't an issue, then i'd go with kooks for sure. call matt @ ttp up or whoever else u can find to see who can give u the best deal on kooks headers. definitely a great quality peice.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I like the QTP headers best.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

btw i think flp's are mild steel coated...the reason they cost so much is 'cuz they are a kit, all the other headers are just headers, you buy the y-pipe seperately, except i think dynatech headers are like flp's as well(a kit).
Old 08-23-2004, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

how would Kooks and QTP compare...from the soundclips through ls1sounds.com on the GMMG...QTP sounds deeper....is that how it is or that not a good comparison?...as long as i get no rasp im happy...and of course that great quality performance
Old 08-23-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
how would Kooks and QTP compare...from the soundclips through ls1sounds.com on the GMMG...QTP sounds deeper....is that how it is or that not a good comparison?...as long as i get no rasp im happy...and of course that great quality performance
They sound pretty much the same, I have heard both in person. They are based off the same design (Grotts) so there isnt much difference.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

everybody post and take the poll
Old 08-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
They sound pretty much the same, I have heard both in person. They are based off the same design (Grotts) so there isnt much difference.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

on the QTP website the headers emerge collector leading into the Y-pipe...looks kinda funny...but thats only in the one picture....it looks like the creases behind the headers then theres the pipe...then Kooks ..has a collector like all the other headerS?...why is that?....if you get the Flowmaster merge collector is that for the headers or the Y-pipe?

which fits better?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Whats matt @ ttp phone number or email and what does he usually charge?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

I purchased Kooks for my car for ridiculously cheap (960) for 1 3/4 SS Long tubes and an ORY. I love the headers hate the y-pipe. It has never fit correctly from day one. I have heard people have much better success with the QTP y-pipe, so I voted for them in the poll.

Otherwise just buy the Kooks Long tubes with no y-pipe, pick yourself up a Flowmaster y merge collector (Dual 3" to 4") and take it to an exhaust shop. They will expand the I-pipe to fit the outlet on the merge collector. Thats what I planned on doing this month until my tranny blew up.
But I will be taking it in hopefully in October.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Default How do these headers look base style?

What will base headers look like...the 1st 2 pics?

the last too...are they the High Velocity Header Merge Collector?....is it worth the money?...do they alow better fitment?

Hows there Catted Y compare to Kooks?
Attached Thumbnails How do these headers compare?-225left.jpg   How do these headers compare?-225right.jpg   How do these headers compare?-header.jpg   How do these headers compare?-collector_156.jpg   How do these headers compare?-ls1y3cat1.jpg  

Old 08-26-2004, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

how much in gains does that high velocity collector actually give?....doesnt seem like itd give much....QTP's base stlye collectors look like they are longer than Kooks's are...does that even matter?....ive been told QTP has a better fitting Y-pipe...and Kooks well seems just basic....so anybody else....opinions facts....install problems or benefits of either?

here are examples of kooks
Attached Thumbnails How do these headers compare?-kooks.jpg   How do these headers compare?-kooks2.jpg   How do these headers compare?-kooks-collector.jpg   How do these headers compare?-kookscattedy.jpg  
Old 08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have any questions about our headers give us a call. I can answer the differences from a standard header to the HVC one. Its just to much for email. And we are stilling running the special which is free shipping, free 02 ext, free gm gaskets and the all important QTP hat
Old 08-26-2004, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quick Time
If you have any questions about our headers give us a call. I can answer the differences from a standard header to the HVC one. Its just to much for email. And we are stilling running the special which is free shipping, free 02 ext, free gm gaskets and the all important QTP hat

thats an awesome deal it sounds like....sounds really good...im afraid that i might not have all the money by the time the sale ends...how longs it going...will it be ofered again?