Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 Z28 vs 02 E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 vs 02 E55 AMG

In reference to the prior thread "WS6 vs E 55 AMG"...
I raced my cousin in his 2002 E55 AMG Saturday. I am a newbie to the forum but thought this may be interesting since it there was a lot of debate over another AMG E 55 kill story. Although the focus of that thread was primarily about the shifting, I have an A4 so I just mash the pedal.
Anyway, I went to his house (for his son's bday party) and he new I had gotten the car and was interested in trying it out since he is a big car enthusiast. Some other friends were there so I let them take it for a drive first to get there reaction and the comments were "it's a beast", "that's too much fun", and "I thought it was a car, not a jet" and a few comments that my cousin's car had a contender. So it was his turn to drive it. He started it and his eyes lit up when he heard the loudmouths. He lightly tested its response while leaving his subdivision and he started to get a bit giddy. Then when pulling out of the subdivision he mashed the pedal and I got to see his eyes pop open a bit when it bit . About 2 minutes later he said we got to get our cars on the highway. Get back to his house and 10minutes he asks "Ready to dance?". We get on a major US highway (it was a little busy) and he goes first and he tries to shake me or pull away but I within 10feet of his bumper and had a little more car. We drive about 2miles this way and we are running in the 110-130mph range. We reach and exit and he wants to compare our lower ends. We get right next to eachother from about a 10mph role and I get about a car length in a 100yards. Then it is back to the hwy this time I am in front and it isn't as busy coming back so it's his turn to keep up. He is right on my rear while we weave in and out a bit around 115 and then we get a nice clearing and really open it up. At this point he is still with me but I am starting to slowly pull away. I look down and I am at 143 and it feels like I have a bit left. He gives me a thumbs up and flicks his lights because he thinks he sees the popo, which there isn't. We shut down. The thing about going that fast is when I slow down I think I am driving the speed limit but I was still doing about 95. What's really funny is that i have my T's off the whole time so who knows how much drag that caused . We get back to his subdivision and immediately compare notes. He was at 141mph. Pretty amazing that his car that seats 4 adults comfortably can roll like that they must have lot of torque. He concedes that I have more car without any arguing and said the sound of my car going down the highway was incredible. We went had some Grey Goose and OJ with our bday cake. Crazy fun.
Seems that I had more car in drive than in Overdrive but wasn't sure if that was the best way to push it. Any suggestions?

Anyway I have A4,SLP loudmouth, HPP3, pulley, cold air induction, K&N filter, Gran. Mass flow, not sure on the air filter lid(has a checkerboard look)K&N?, 160therm, 3.23, NGKTR6, and different plug wire kit not sure which, it may have a different intake but I have not verified that. Anyone know an easy way to do that? All I know is that it's black. Excuse the ignorance but I just wanted something fast and fun since I my daily driver is a 1993 non-turbo Saab 9000. Has only had Mobil 1 synthetic since its original purchase.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't the 02's not have the blower? Good kill

-Todd
Old 08-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Not sure Glove, it is not the newest model and I believe it rates around 340hp. The new AMGs are in the upper 400's and have a charger on them. So that would be a different story.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bige98Z
Not sure Glove, it is not the newest model and I believe it rates around 340hp. The new AMGs are in the upper 400's and have a charger on them. So that would be a different story.
Yes, the new AMG E55 would have slaughtered you. It's ok, it would slaughter me as well.

Well, since now we have a comparison to that other thread, this further solidifies that there is just no way a WS6 in 5th gear pulled away from the E55. Even if it was an older one. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Velocity
Yes, the new AMG E55 would have slaughtered you. It's ok, it would slaughter me as well.

Well, since now we have a comparison to that other thread, this further solidifies that there is just no way a WS6 in 5th gear pulled away from the E55. Even if it was an older one. Thanks.
Agreed, but that last thread was a can of worms IMO (best left alone).

Also, I am glad to hear another story on the mighty LS1 vs the mighty E55.

Good kill

LS1 F-Body > E55 (02')
Old 08-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bige98Z
He is right on my rear while we weave in and out a bit around 115
remind me never to be with my kids on the same highway.

anyway, congrats.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Def, it was stupid but I can't say I was really thinking about it much at the time, just wanted to win. If I was in my kids in the minivan and somebody went by me like that, I would be pissed. At least the loudmouths were giving some warning.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you faired better than I. I posted my 'kill' story below, but unfortunately I got my butt handed to me on a platter. Those blown AMG E55's are badass !!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

I raced a one two or three weeks ago. First time we lined them up I had no idea what it was so I gave him a jump thinking I will suck him back up.... well opps! haha We line them up again and I turn on the bottle and Im like this guy is going to get smoked (running the 80 pills at the time with not bottle heater) So from a stop major wheel spin on both cars through first, he pulls a car to 2 cars in first, hit 2nd im still spinning and he isn't and pulls another 1/2 a car. Top of 2nd I hook up and instantly pull back to his door, hit 3rd and pull a little more with a bumper on him we shut it down. FAST 4 DOOR is all i have to say. We pulled in a gas station and shot the **** for a bit and he invited me and my buddy that was with me in the car over to his house to drink some beer and look at his 04 viper. lol Cool old guy, he was 59 and sad his dating range was between 24 and 48 and he was trying to dip into the 18's but he said they wear him out HAHA
Old 08-26-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a dirty old man.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I agree. He is a dirty old man...but that is nonetheless awesome. If i'm still single when I'm that age, I'd probably doing the exact same thing. Driving fast cars and picking up younger women.