Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP lost through CATS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much HP lost through CATS?

Buying the Pacesetter headers through TSP soon and am going to be going with one of their new y pipes, either the off road or the new catted one. On my old LT1 i ran an off road y and i wasnt too happy with it, ran rich and stunk like gas a bit. Id kind of like to keep it emmissions legal this time around, no gasey smell and what not. My question is this, realistically, how much HP would I be losing through the cats(i believe they are carsound cats that TSP uses, supposed to flow really well) Car has basic bolt ons, intake exhaust, and then the headers. What do you guys think? Another reason I am thinking of going with the cats is because of rasp, i DO NOT like the raspy exhaust note that is common on LS1 cars.
Brian
Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say only like five ponies on a bolt-on car. Nothing to much really. Get the sucker tuned to get rid of the rich a/f ratio.

-Todd
Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I have cats on my setup, the few ponies I maybe living on the table are not as much of a deal as my DD being solid and not stinking.

And you are lookin at +/- a point or two 5RWHP
Old 08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The more air you are forcing through your engine the more power cats are going to rob. I also run Carsounds and they seem to be pretty free flowing especially the 3" variety. A Stock head @ cam bolt on car should only be held back 5-12rwhp and equal torque running highflow cats. I've heard of HC LS1's losing 10-21rwhp @ torque running cats. It all depends on the condition of the cats, and other variables like cam duration etc... I was still able to make numbers in sig running cats. Although I wonder how much they are holding me back.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might only lose 5 - 15 hp with cats for the first ten thousand miles but the problem lies down the road when they become clogged up a bit. Who knows how much power you're losing.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

10 hp is what Speed Inc told me I would lose through my cats.