Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant line bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant line bypass?

I've noticed that the coolant bypass lines that you get with an LS6 intake block off the back lines. If you already have bypassed the throttle body couldn't you block off the front lines and radiator as well? Or do these lines serve some other purpose?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-27-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt

Anyone tried this or know if it will have any negative effect on engine cooling?

Mike
Old 08-27-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt do it, dont know the exact workings but it lets coolant travel between the heads, im sure it helps somehow. maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

I believe that line is used to balance coolant system pressure into the radiator from the heads since the thermostat is positioned relatively low ( below the heads ). I'd keep it.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've heard the same.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by technical
I believe that line is used to balance coolant system pressure into the radiator from the heads since the thermostat is positioned relatively low ( below the heads ). I'd keep it.

True that. True that.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would it be possible to move the crossover to the rear and block off the front? Or does that link between the front crossover and radiator have to be there? Just trying to clean the bay up as much as possible and that TB bypass looks goofy.

Mike
Old 08-27-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It gets air out of the block and heads and lets it burp out of the radiator. Keep the line going to the radiator. One person posted here that he plugged the line and blew a freeze plug out of the head.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like too big of a risk just to clean up the bay a little bit. I appreciate the advice and think I'll keep the lines the way they are.

Mike
Old 08-29-2004, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Question

On a related note, when switching over from an LS1 intake to an LS6 there is a way to modify the old coolant line to use with the new intake without buying anything new right?
You can just cut and solder (or plug it up like in the pics int he link above) the open outlet shut on the front one but what would one do with the back part in order to plug it, still utilizing the old lines that is?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
It gets air out of the block and heads and lets it burp out of the radiator. Keep the line going to the radiator. One person posted here that he plugged the line and blew a freeze plug out of the head.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
On a related note, when switching over from an LS1 intake to an LS6 there is a way to modify the old coolant line to use with the new intake without buying anything new right?
You can just cut and solder (or plug it up like in the pics int he link above) the open outlet shut on the front one but what would one do with the back part in order to plug it, still utilizing the old lines that is?
man i need to make a writeup for this, lol. take the old coolant lines, for the back ones cut them at like an inch to the base, then crimp a good bit of the end and soldier(metal soldier, not electrical) or weld it. for the front tubes you cut it at the y part and do the same. if i ever do a 3rd ls6 intake swap ill make sure to make a writeup with pictures on how to do this. let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
take the old coolant lines, for the back ones cut them at like an inch to the base, then crimp a good bit of the end and soldier(metal soldier, not electrical) or weld it. for the front tubes you cut it at the y part and do the same. let me know if you have any questions.
So on the back ones you wouldn't want to cut the tubes off of the plugs all the way, you should leave at least a little bit of tubing to crimp and weld right?
And on the front one, do you cut the 'Y' (or 'T') down right to the straighter part of it (leaving just the very top of the 'T') or leave a little tubing there as well? I would think some of the coolant would always get trapped in that little extra area as it crosses over it maybe, but then again that should matter I guess.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
So on the back ones you wouldn't want to cut the tubes off of the plugs all the way, you should leave at least a little bit of tubing to crimp and weld right?
And on the front one, do you cut the 'Y' (or 'T') down right to the straighter part of it (leaving just the very top of the 'T') or leave a little tubing there as well? I would think some of the coolant would always get trapped in that little extra area as it crosses over it maybe, but then again that should matter I guess.
Thanks for the info.
yes on the back ones leave like enough to crimp it and weld it, i left like a inch. on the front i would leave like an inch as well, i wouldnt leave too much length as it might come in contact with the intake, if you want you can test fit it with the intake on, since the front tube can be removed and installed with the intake on.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hourang
on the front i would leave like an inch as well, i wouldnt leave too much length as it might come in contact with the intake, if you want you can test fit it with the intake on, since the front tube can be removed and installed with the intake on.
True. Thanks again dude.