Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new cam with out tune?

Old 08-28-2004, 02:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question new cam with out tune?

if i installed the T-rex cam package but did not have it tuned would it be drivable enough to drive to a tuner a couple of hours away?

What would be a suggestion for wanting to have the cam installed locally but then taking it to a tuner about 2 hours away?

as far as the crane cam spring kit and hte comp cam spring kit wich ones are better.

and would the cam gaskets be essential.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:13 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

I'm still on my stock tune and 3.42's with the T-Rex. Now that I'm done with installing EVERYTHING, I'm going to start tuning. Keep the engine over 2k rpm, and it should be fine for 2 hrs. I've driven mine about 4 hrs total so far, but I REALLY want to start tuning. If driven too much on the stock tune, it could start fooling out plugs and get fuel washing down the cylinder walls. Not good.

As far as springs, get what Thunder recommends, or the Patriot Gold's like I put in. The Patriot Gold's are awesome, and no shimming needed. You can get a cam swap gasket kit from Thunder too, but they aren't "cam gaskets" per say, stuff like water pump, timing cover, etc.

Do your research on this, b/c you should do the ported LS6 oil pump, a new timing chain (double roller if possible), maybe a pulley and some other stuff if you want, now is the time to do that stuff.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

You will make it. You may need adjust your set screw. Who told you that you needed "cam gaskets"? You need gaskets during the install, but there are no "cam gaskets". If you have the person that told you that swap your cam, make sure they top of your blinker fluid.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what they said. you'll be fine for a couple of hours. I would recommend either the Patriot's or the Comp's for springs. I broke a couple of Crane dual's not too long ago.

Search this Thread