Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a Derale fan mounted trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone have a Derale fan mounted trans cooler?

http://www.derale.com/fanmountedoilcoolers.shtml
My car is having trans cooling problems that no one can figure out, so I guess I will try a one of those coolers.I have went through a few DRC transmisions because of it, and i dont wnat to burn up my new FLP trans as well. I currently have a B&M 24,000, and the trans temperature gets over 230 degrees at times. I installed a fan switch that kept the 2 radiator fans on high all the time, the trans temperature barely got over 200. The most it got was 208. So, I was thinking that if I install one of these Derale coolers, I should be able to keep the trans temperature at a more sutable range. They have 4 different 25,000 GVW coolers to choose from. They say AN6, and AN8, and some other things. Does anyoe know which one would be the proper one for us with the A4?
Is anyone else running these Derale coolers, or any other brand of cooler that has a fan mounted on it?
They sell an optional In-Line Fan Thermostat that activates that fan at 180 degrees. Should I get that, or should I just have the fan on all the time? Thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you still use the radiator the car will naturally warm itself up. Why us A4 dudes get alot more benefit from fan tuning AND 160F thermostat than say the M6 guys, the trans heat and rad heat are a double whammy.

what about the deeper trans pan for more coolant and one of those big *** coolers (or two coolers). Doubt a fan will do whole lot of good maybe obstruct the cooling at higher speeds but might help with your traffic driving .

i was thinking a deeper pan but i might want to go lower some day.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I am not realy questioning if those work well, just trying to see who else is using them. I remember reading a few threads that some people have said that those fan mounted coolers are overkill, and are only needed for a few select cars that need that extra cooling, so I assume that they work real well.
A few trans shops that I talked to told me that the deep pans wont do much for cooling, maybe a couple of degrees at most. I do plan on getting a deep pan, but I certaintly wont expect a pan with a coule of extra quarts and a few fins to dramaticly cool the trans.
I have thought about adding an extra cooler. Before I had the 24,000 installed, I had a 18,000 cooler. I still have that cooler in my garage, and considered adding it, but I would think that two coolers would just restrict the oil flow. By adding the Derale 25,000 fan mounted cooler, I know I will have a little less flow than I do now with the B&M 24,000, but in theory the oil should be cooler .
Old 08-29-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

You do not have a set-up that should generate that type of heat. Do you live in AZ or NM?

A 160 T-stat is necessary.

Make sure the cooler lines are not allowing the fluid to pass back through the stock cooler after going through the B&M cooler.

I would try the B&M cooler on a stand-alone basis first.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am planning on mounting a small fan on my b&m trans cooler, probably mounting it puller style. i personally don't think it is over kill at all. my cooler is mounted right by the horn on the passenger side (kind of like the "dope install") and i have alot of the plastic baffle on that side cut out so the air dam can catch the air and force it through the cooler, but i feel that for the extra 100$ or less i'd like to keep the tranmission as cool as possible when racing the car around. i can reach down and touch the cooler and burn my hand pretty good, so that is hot enough for me to worry.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ragtop, I do know that it shouldn't be generating this type of heat, hence why no one can figure out what is wrong with it and why I am trying to take more extreme cooling measures.
The stock cooler is bypassed. These problems were happening when I had a 18,000 cooler, and then my trans shop bypassed the stock cooler and took off the 18,000 and installed the bigger one, and still no fix. I am getting a new PCM soon, because FLP told me that it is bad, but they dont think it is causing the trans to overheat. It goes through the gears realy fast. You can be going 25mph and it will be in 4th gear locked. Would that cause excessive heat?
There is a 160 t-stat on there, but I guess I should replace it anyways just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Derale fan mounted trans cooler?