Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Box raising kit???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Box raising kit???

Has anyone heard of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I was wanting to do a WS6 airbox with an Ultra Z hood but would this be safe to do? All help is greatly appreciated...thanks

John
Old 08-29-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

First off, that kit is a bunch of washers: Top retail, $0.50 from a hardware store

Second, I dont see any performance gains in have the airbox lifted in that fashion. I dont think you could lift it high enough to act like a WS6 airbox, nor would it seal right with the ends open and off the body like that
Old 08-29-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They're washers, and doesn't seal the raised sections at all. Big-time rip-off..... Yet another scam-artist (jerk?) on eBay trying to sell us items such as the "$20 timing mod" (10-cent resistor) or the "$20+ bellows" ($10 Airflow Systems).
Old 08-29-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not only that, but on my SS I had only 1/8" - 1/4"
clearance between the lid and hood to begin with.

I went with some high density foam weatherstrip
from Home Depot in the end with a starting 3/8"
height and tightened down to 1/8". You do want
a seal all around so as to not pull hot air.

Performance gain: roughly squat. Especially with
the larger CAI hole underneath the air filter.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what happened to the "good" air box designs of the LT1 cars?

the WS6 ram air opening fed straight into the airbox, and now the SS and WS6 hood/airbox designs are a joke
Old 08-29-2004, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Red face

$15.00 (with shipping) for that?!
I did mine (not quite a half inch though) for free! Although I am about to remove the rubber washers and lower it back down to stock because I think I'm doing more bad than good allowing my FRA air to escape through the underside of the box more easily.
Thinking of sealing my whole air box off completely allowing just the FRA air into the motor.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother trying to get more air in from the front/hood area. I think if you do some research you'll find grabbing the air from under the bumper (FRA/FTRA/SSRA) makes more power.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I researched all the free ram air, FTRA, SSRA, etc. I didn't like the free ram air because at slow speeds you get hotter air flowing over the radiator and in AZ I just didn't want to do it. The FTRA blocks some flow through the radiator and again in AZ I didn't want to do that. The SSRA looks like the best, but I haven't gotten one of those either. So I just raised the air box with a dollar worth of plastic washers I got from Home Depot. I couldn't go 1/2" either or I would have hit the hood. I put weather stripping around the sides and back to keep from pulling in warm air from the radiator. Could I tell the difference, not really, but I figured it was worth a try and it sure couldn't hurt. The Air box design isn't bad, it's pulling from a very cool source of air in the nose of the car fed by the two holes in the grill. I just think GM could have given a little more flow area into the filter.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by peteZ
Don't bother trying to get more air in from the front/hood area. I think if you do some research you'll find grabbing the air from under the bumper (FRA/FTRA/SSRA) makes more power.
Why not have both?
I have FRA and yet I still left the front slot open as well, I'm just hoping that the air coming in through the FRA isn't going right out the front of the air box, seemed to work well...though I think I'm going to try and seal off that front slot maybe.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

If your going to use the washer method (everyone is right...go buy a bucks worth and save 15.00 dollars) make sure you seal up the corners with striping.
I have done the cutting of the bottom of the stock air box, lifted the box w/ washers, and also have the SLP Ultra-Z hood. I find that I have to check it everyday for 'road treasures' i.e. candy bar wrappers, plastic bags, etc, etc.
I'm looking at getting the WS-6 box and trying it out for fit. Worse case scenario, you take it back cause it doesn't fit.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:34 AM
TECH Resident

Oops, I meant weather stripping...or was it striping...Guess my minds in the gutter...I was thinking of

Quick Reply: Air Box raising kit???