Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ok now what for these fucking Swirlies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok now what for these ******* Swirlies?

Ok heres the deal..

On friday, I had th eday off from work and decided to wash my car like I do weekly. Normally, I wash the car using Mr Clean's Auto Dry system, dry it, and apply NXTs Booster Spray wax. But it had been about a month since I last put REAL wax on my car, so I decided to wash the car by hand using NXTs Tech Wash. Since i really wanted to bring out the bes tin the car I wanted to go all out: pre clean my car, polish it, wax it.

Stupidly, I applied Tutrtle Waxes Polishing Compound (that piece of **** that comes in a lil green tub that cost a buck fifty at walmart) to my ENTIRE car on friday and totally fucked up my paint..full of swirlies. NASTY!

So I decided to try to cure the situation myself and went ahead and tried to was the **** out of it...first I applied 1 coat of Meguires Cleaner Wax, that seemed to bring back the shine, but the swirlies were ever present. Then I went on to apply 1 coat of Turtle Wax (should know better by now) Blue Color Matching Polish...actually the stuff wasnt all that bad, got an extra bit of shine out of the car, seemed to cover up a BIT of the swirls. Finally I finished with 1 coat of Meguires NXT Tech Wax, again brought an extra depth of shine to the car, helped the swirls moderately. In the end, the car looked alot better, but the swirls were still pretty bad (bad enough that I cringe when I look at my once beautiful blue Z28).

So finally I got smart and came on here to see what you guys have to say. One post caught my eye of one dude that recommend to someone else who had the same problem:

1 - Wash the car
2 - Apply 2 coats of Meguires Scratch X
3 - Apply 2 coats of Meguires ColoRX
4 - Apply 2 coats of Meguires Gold Class Wax

So last night before bed, I went ahead and washed my car by hand, agains using Meguires NXT Wash. Dired it, and seemed like the wash stipped most of the wax away as the car looked more swirled than when I had last left it. Ok I expected that.

This morning, I start to use the Scratch X, first coat went fine. Second coat came around and the **** STUCK to my car. It seems that the spots where I applied the coat the LIGHTEST, it just STUCK...arrrrgggg!!!! Used a ton of elbow grease, but seems like, at least on my hood, the **** is just stuck on. Kinda looks dull as well (maybe the stuff just cleaned off any of the last remaining wax that was left on there from friday). Also it seems to have done NOTHING to the swirls. The **** looks just as bad as it did when the first coat of wax came off on friday and much worse than how the NXT wax left it. But it came off fine on all other parts of my car, thankfully.

Now its time to put on the first coat of ColoRX...

Question: Should I expect my finish to get better as I progress or is my once-beautiful car FUCKED?

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, Im thinking that maybe I should Apply one third and final coat of Scratch X to my hood. I mthinking Might have left it on too long the scond time. Cuz ont he res tof my car, I let it sit no more than 5 minutes before wipping the **** off, while on the hood the second coat migh thave been left on for 10-20 mins...
Old 08-29-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well third coat went on and came off....really helped to take off MOST of the crap that was left caked on, and brought back soem of the shine...now its on par with how it was on friday after the first coat of cleaner wax...

on to stage 3: 2 coats of ColoRx
Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok since none of you holios responded to my thread, i'll give you all an update:

- Just got done with my second coat of Meguire's ColoRx...and though there are still some noticeable swirlies (though I cant be sure if those were there before or not), all I can say is GODDAMN!!!! My car's color has NEVER, EVER, EVER looked so damn vibrant!!! ****!!! I mean the color is soooooo damn deep and rich! ******* car is GLEAMING!

After the second coat of ScratchX came off I was beginning to **** it...mainly because the swirls were still so prominent. And though the swirls are still there, the ColoRx brought out the color of my car so beautifully, it almost doesnt matter that I have some swirls...I mean the cars color is sooo deep the swirls kinda just fade in. And yes,I took it out into the sun and parked the car in all kinds of angles just so I can be sure its not just some lighting trick.

Man, I dunno if i should just quit while Im ahead, or go on with the final step and apply the NXT Tech Wax....

All I can say is "Phewwwww!!!" That was a close call.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Best way I've found to remove swirls and go **** on shine is the following method:

1) Wash with car wash concentrate (NOT Dawn)
2) Claybar
3) Wash again, to get the clay off
4) Apply Menzerna Intensive Polish with a Port Cable 7424 DA polisher, using an orange pad
5) Wipe off with a mix of 50/50 isopropyl aclohol and distilled water from a spray bottle, using a microfiber cloth (waffle weave works well...hey! alliteration!)
6) Apply Menzerna Finishing Polish 2 with a PC 7424, using the white pad
7) Wipe off excess (no alcohol this time)
8) Sealant (I use Blackfire) applied by hand. Excess removed either by hand or by a buffer.

I'm sure 3M products could be used in place of Menzerna, but I haven't used them. The key is the polisher. It orbits very quickly, so there isn't any excessive rubbing and it helps work the polish into the problem spots.

-Mike
Old 08-29-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Best way I've found to remove swirls and go **** on shine is the following method:

1) Wash with car wash concentrate (NOT Dawn)
2) Claybar
3) Wash again, to get the clay off
4) Apply Menzerna Intensive Polish with a Port Cable 7424 DA polisher, using an orange pad
5) Wipe off with a mix of 50/50 isopropyl aclohol and distilled water from a spray bottle, using a microfiber cloth (waffle weave works well...hey! alliteration!)
6) Apply Menzerna Finishing Polish 2 with a PC 7424, using the white pad
7) Wipe off excess (no alcohol this time)
8) Sealant (I use Blackfire) applied by hand. Excess removed either by hand or by a buffer.

I'm sure 3M products could be used in place of Menzerna, but I haven't used them. The key is the polisher. It orbits very quickly, so there isn't any excessive rubbing and it helps work the polish into the problem spots.

-Mike
Wow...thats pretty intensive...i think imma save up for one of those PC Polishers.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe if you cuss some more you'll be cool and your car will look better

Read these articles and they should help:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47
Old 08-29-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw th efirs tlink a while ago, but the second link kicked ***...like i said, I am gonna save up for one of those PC Polishers...

Oh BTW..my cussin seemed to restore my car...like i said in my second to last post, the ColoRx made a huge differance in the color dept. The NXT wax made it all look nice and wet...still got the swirlies, but the color of the car is so deep and shiny now, I can live with it. The car looks great as of righ tnow, but I will definitely try to finish the job when I get a PC polisher.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Restricted User

I agree with the claybar the hell outta it. But I use Zaino Bro's, either way its same process and end result.

Good luck

Charlie
Old 08-30-2004, 03:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Turtle's stuff is VERY abrasive, and should probably only be used on a car that has lost it's luster altogether! I almost did the same thing, but that is why they have the warning on the side, which tells you to test it in an inconspicuous spot first!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Chop-Foo Director

How are you applying the scratchx? You need to apply by hand and work the product in for a couple minutes in each section. Take a 16"x16" section and work it in. The product has diminishing abrasives, which will get finer the more you work it in. Once you are done working it in, remove it, don't let it sit. Try it out on a section of your car. You'll be amazed what it can do!

Also, the combonation of colorx/nxt is very common, and people are getting awesome results out of it. Glad you're getting some good results!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take your head out of the toilet . . . then you won't get a "swirly" . . . .
Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe take it to get done professionaly.. you don't really seem what to know what you are doing... I'm not trying to insult you but it might be best for the car..
Old 08-30-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

I can probably find a good detailer in your area if you would like that.

How close are you to Thousand Oaks?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

i thought the green stuff was a an adbraisive, not a polish.. my left over polish
is in a white conainer. and my green is a heavy cutter...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I can probably find a good detailer in your area if you would like that.

How close are you to Thousand Oaks?
Far far away bro...im in Orange County
Old 08-30-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OWENMUSTANG
i thought the green stuff was a an adbraisive, not a polish.. my left over polish
is in a white conainer. and my green is a heavy cutter...
The green stuff is Polishing Compound, the red stuff is Rubbing compound... make no mistake about it, the green stuff is abrasive as ****!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys, this is what my car looks like today (a day removed from all the work):

Name:  car830d.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  car830c.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  38.7 KB
Name:  car830b.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  52.6 KB
Name:  car830a.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  34.0 KB
Old 08-30-2004, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

So that's what my paint should look like lol
Old 09-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hitmeoff

Stupidly, I applied Tutrtle Waxes Polishing Compound (that piece of **** that comes in a lil green tub that cost a buck fifty at walmart) to my ENTIRE car on friday and totally fucked up my paint..full of swirlies. NASTY!

Any ideas or suggestions?
WORDS TO LIVE BY:

Turtles belong in the desert NOT on cars!

Quick Reply: Ok now what for these fucking Swirlies?