Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear u-joint gives up at 100 mph!!!Holy #@$$*!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear u-joint gives up at 100 mph!!!Holy #@$$*!!

Took my hot rod for a spin today,took it easy for a while but got on it hard coming back home.Went thru 1st and 2nd and was in third when all hell broke lose!!I"ve never felt a car shake so hard in my life,first thought was the engine blew as its pretty new,I let off the gas and was thinking to get stopped as fast as I could.I really thought I had a blowout,When I let off the gas when it started shaking I didn"t know it but the motor had died,anyway it took forever to stop with the powerbrakes,all the while car is about to literally shake me out of my seat as it was shaking violently as it gradually slowed down.I guess it ook a good 1\4 mile to finally come to a stop, so I jump out looking for a shreaded tire(hoping that was the problem)but all four tires are fine.Next I open the hood thinking the worst had happened since the tires were OK,I didn"t notice anything out of ordinary so I look under the car for fluids or something crazy!So I get back in the car and shift thru the gears to see if tranny is screwed,it seems to be fine.Now I sit and think do I try to crank the thing up?? So I try cranking it and watch my oil pressure gauge for pressure,it finally comes up and the engine finally fires up and seems to be fine(I"m relieved!!!)Now I"m thinking its the tranny or the rearend,so I put it in first a let out the clutch slowly, to my surprise the thing starts to go foward but its still shaking.I only had to go about 2 miles on country roads to get home so I shift to second real easy just hoping it"ll get my butt home in one piece,I go to 3rd at about 20 mph and all of a sudden I hear a loud banging between the shifter and back seat.Now I"m coasting back toward my house as I come to a stop,now I know its not going any further under its own power!!So I get out and look under the car and the rear of the driveshaft is laying on the ground.BTW this is a 1981 Camaro,4 speed with a 408 sb that about 500 hp.Anyway it was pretty WILD when it first started shaking at about 100 mph!!!!The car has about 500 miles since I got it going with the new motor,I put new u-joints
in while it was apart.I guess one of the u-bolts came loose and let the driveshaft get out of center and make it start shaking.Anyway you wouldn"t believe how hard that car s-h-o-o-k!!!!The bad part was even after I let off the gas and pushed the clutch it shook the same until it stopped!Have any of you guys had anything like this happen to you beforee??

Last edited by FASTONE; 08-29-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea they will shake you out of the car Most likely didnt put the c-clips back in the caps that go to the rear end yoke. If the rear uses the 2 bolts and strap you have to put the c-clips on the inside of the u-joint - otherwise they will fly out after a while - just a guess.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don"t know exactly what caused the problem yet, I haven"t looked at it since I got it home.
Looks like your car is pretty fast!I can"t believe it pulls the front tires with a 3.70 gear,awsome!!Do you have any 1\8 mile timeslips?I:ve ran 7.59 at 90 with a 1.9 60 ft hard street tires=no traction! 3.42 WITH 4 SPEED.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

haha mine broke at 140 mph on a alum. drive shaft except the drive shaft split did a nice bit of damage to the undercarge and also raised my insurance rate cause the half of it hit the front of the zo6 that i was dragging down the highway =(
Old 08-31-2004, 11:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTONE
I don"t know exactly what caused the problem yet, I haven"t looked at it since I got it home.
Looks like your car is pretty fast!I can"t believe it pulls the front tires with a 3.70 gear,awsome!!Do you have any 1\8 mile timeslips?I:ve ran 7.59 at 90 with a 1.9 60 ft hard street tires=no traction! 3.42 WITH 4 SPEED.
6.61 @ 104 is the best 1/8 mile, 125 shot.
I'll have a faster car next week