Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" leaking all over the place only when driven

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9" leaking all over the place only when driven

I have a moser 9" that has a superposi in it with 4.11 gears in it. It doesn't have ABS or TC. I have all the stock suspension hardware on it. I have a steel driveshaft.

The issue is that the rear is leaking like a **** when driven but doesn't leak leak when on the lift while the drivetrain is in motion. The rearend fluid seems to be getting all over the place. It doesn't seem to be coming from the seal at where the center section bolts into the housing. The rear seems to be whining at high speeds too.

Jason at f-body central is looking at it. I am just trying to see if anyone else has ever seen this issue before. The only reason I bought the 9 inch was to put an end to all my 10bolt issues.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how's your pinion angle on your TQ arm? that's be my first guess if its only doing it while the car is on the ground and moving.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
how's your pinion angle on your TQ arm? that's be my first guess if its only doing it while the car is on the ground and moving.
That's prolly a good idea. If I have the stock torque arm on it, will it be off by that much? Do 9-incher's have a pinion seal that can leak? If the pinion angle is off, could that possibly make it leak out the pinion seal?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the vent fitting and a piece of rubber hose to move it up installed?

Bruce
Old 08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hardtop

Bruce
I think I remember Jason talking about putting that on and also showing it to me. It's so peculiar because when I pulled into his shop the other day to drop it off... there was fluid all over the place.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hardtop

Bruce
Sorry to hijack, but when one mounts the vent tube on the 12 bolt is it just pointed up? And how much tubing should i allow?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by F1_SS
Sorry to hijack, but when one mounts the vent tube on the 12 bolt is it just pointed up? And how much tubing should i allow?
i ran about 1' of rubber hose straight up and havent had one problem since the install.

JR
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRcamaroZ28
i ran about 1' of rubber hose straight up and havent had one problem since the install.

JR
Mine goes up to the bottom of the package tray and curves down a bit. Have it tied wired with some slack so it doesn't pull out with suspension movement. No problems

Bruce
Old 09-01-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Do 9-incher's have a pinion seal that can leak?"

Yes.

"If the pinion angle is off, could that possibly make it leak out the pinion seal?"

What does the pinion angle have to do with a leaky seal?

You might want to simply check the nuts and bolts for proper seating first. If the differential is loaded and the nut/bolts are loose on the pinion support or third member to housing, it may just be seperating enough to leak under load and not while it is on the rack.

It would be best to first figureout where it is leaking from first by cleaning everything off and then going for a short drive. Check for the new leaking fluid and determine weather or not it needs a re-seal or just some simple turns of a wrench.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Teching In

All great ideas. Thanks for the info everyone. Jason talked to a place called woofer (sp?) brothers and they told him that there are these shims in the unit that have a seal around them and that they have seen them leak from there so it needs to be resealed. Hopefully this is it. If so, I will let you all know cause you never know if anyone else might have this issue in the future. It would be good to know I think.

Originally Posted by chicane
"Do 9-incher's have a pinion seal that can leak?"

Yes.

"If the pinion angle is off, could that possibly make it leak out the pinion seal?"

What does the pinion angle have to do with a leaky seal?

You might want to simply check the nuts and bolts for proper seating first. If the differential is loaded and the nut/bolts are loose on the pinion support or third member to housing, it may just be seperating enough to leak under load and not while it is on the rack.

It would be best to first figureout where it is leaking from first by cleaning everything off and then going for a short drive. Check for the new leaking fluid and determine weather or not it needs a re-seal or just some simple turns of a wrench.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

wuttup Chris???? Tuan here ... lol

saw your car when I dropped by the shop. Leaking like a ****. What have you been doing to that rear? lol My guess was the same.
The name is Wolford Brothers.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mean Green z28
wuttup Chris???? Tuan here ... lol

saw your car when I dropped by the shop. Leaking like a ****. What have you been doing to that rear? lol My guess was the same.
The name is Wolford Brothers.
Wuzup Tuan?!?!? how have you been? feeling any better? I hope so. You and Tony go through some rough times.

I am not sure what is up with my car. I have the worst of the luck. I had so many issues with that stupid gm 10 bolt even though I never had slicks or DR's on it. So I decide to get the 9" cause I wanted to never have issues again and then the 9" decides to leak.

Wolford Brothers... cool... I kept hearing the name but I didn't know how it was spelled. lol I am hoping its not too hard to find where the leak is coming from using that dye. What color is it anyways? I just wonder what kind of color fluid is squirting out my rear... errr 9 inch... errr u know what I mean. lol
Old 09-02-2004, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know about yours but my 9 incher squirts white fluid ... lol ... forget that.
The dye shows up under black light. I think it's either green or orange (depending on the type) but it was deffinitely leaking when I saw it. Had to leave quick so don't know the outcome yet.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pinion seal leaks on my Moser 9 inch; not really sure what can be done about it.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

The 9" Mosers are known to leak fluid out the vent. I have a catch can on mine....
Old 09-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
The 9" Mosers are known to leak fluid out the vent. I have a catch can on mine....
How much though? I drove to Jason's shop (1 hour away from home) and pulled in and there was rearend fluid dripping from everywhere under the car.