Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Emissions!

Old 08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Emissions!

My 'Service Engine Soon' light came on last week ('98 T/A) and I figured it had to do with emissions....had an emissions test done today and it failed. It gave me the code P0442 = EVAP Control System Leak Detected (small leak).
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had this before and how much it was to get it fixed.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats usually triggered by a loose gascap. A leaking gascap can cause it too
Old 08-30-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

yup gas cap is the easiest\cheapest place to start.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Teching In

During the emissions check I believe the mechanic hooked up something to the gas cap and it passed that part. Maybe I havent had the cap on tight lately but then again the light has been on for a good week now and i have secured the cap a few times since then. I'll just take it to someone to look at. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reset the PCM. Make sure cap clicks after getting gas. See if it comes back on. The inspector check to see if the cap sealed properly. A loose cap will cause a code because it is a pressurerized (sp?) system.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

If the gas cap was off or loose it would set an EVAP code that would have reference to a "gross" leak, there are often several solinoid/checkvalves in the EVAP system, in most shops that deal with EVAP problems (they are few and far between except for dealerships) because if you talk to or research a source like Alldata, most places will use a piece of equipment (expensive) that will "blow smoke" through the system to find the leak. Of course most dealerships that deal with these cars on a regular basis will most likely know the most common componet that causes the problem butthey will enevitably charge you for the diag anyway. But it should be a relatively inexpensive repair non the less.

Search this Thread