Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to install double springs on stock heads?

Old 03-30-2003, 04:21 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: How hard to install double springs on stock heads?

15 Bucks for the spring tool at Napa (the flat bar not the fancy screw style ones) and you can do it yourself quickly, in probably two hours or so. I've got a bunch of pictures of doing this on my website under the C5 cam swap. Just make sure you use air pressure to hold the valves up. Also make sure you take the check valve out of the pressure gauge hose so that it flows air. Other than that, it's extremely easy to do. Scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty, it's a 2.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the double springs have a wider Outer Diameter than stock, then it will be impossible. The spring seats will have to be enlarged to fit, and the head has to be taken to a machine shop.

I also give the spring swap a 7+ on the PITA scale.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:57 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Rev 1115 or 6's (I forgot what model #) don't require machining for the heads. You simply pull the retainer out, lift the spring out, snap off the stem seal, pick out the stock spring seat. Put the new spring seat in, put a new stem seal on, put the spring on and put the retainer and keepers back in. The first one is a learning experience, but there is no machining required with the Rev doubles. Take a look at my pictures and you'll see that we pulled the stockers off and replaced them with doubles right there.

I didn't think the spring swap was that bad. Yes you have to keep track of the keepers. But laying a towel down over the headers between the heads and the body saved every single one that we dropped. I guess it's not that it's difficult, just frustrating to remove 32 keepers without dropping a few. That and making sure that you don't drop a valve!!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

using a pen magnet to take the keepers off makes it very hard to drop them.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default How hard to install double springs on stock heads?

I looking into getting the F1 cam in the near future and I want to get the rev double vavle springs for my stock heads. Are they harder to install then 918's? Also if I pay someone to install them do you think they will charge me more then putting in 918's.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks derty for clarifing that you don't have to machine the heads with the Rev's. I think some of these guys were getting confused.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by derty:
<strong> 15 Bucks for the spring tool at Napa (the flat bar not the fancy screw style ones) </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That tool looks neat. But I cant see that thing working under the cowl in an F-car. Looks like it did the job in the vette though. Do you tighten it down and then pry it to compress the spring?

Search this Thread