Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2007 GTO release info in Hot Rodding

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GTO release info in Hot Rodding

Just got my October 2004 issue and it has an article on page 12 "2006 to be banner year for new musclecars".

The GTO that will debuit in 2006 for the 2007 model year has the rpm guage on the hood and the ram air more towards the front. The article has a pic but I am unable to find one to post. The grill is redesigned and does not look like a Grand Am or Grand Prix. It looks pretty good.

But, what about power? It will have the LS2 with 400 HP. It should MSRP for $33k and it will be built on the Zeta platform (which most all of us already know). It will also have 2 seperate outlets for the dual exhaust.

For the GTO fans this should bode well since GM blames the lack luster styling on it's currently low sales.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Impression here
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachm...achmentid=2687

Keep in mind of course that Lutz hates retro and this is Hot Rod's interpretation (Hot Rod loves Retro).

-Adam
Old 09-01-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

that doesnt look that bad but its too round....But its better than the one now so at least they r gettn better.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

THAT IS AWESOME, looks tough Finally GM got some *****
Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh man, that does look totally awesome...

built in the US?

and no, I don't know what the Zeta platform is...
Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

I know I'll probably get flamed, but I like the GTO as it is now. I say put a hood scoop on it and flare the fenders a little maybe and it's good to go.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Guys this is NOT a GM concept, this is a Hot Rod Magazine concept. Bob Lutz has already said the next GTO will not be retro.

Tony,
Zeta is the derivitive of the Sigma (CTS-V) chassis that the next generation Camaro and GTO will ride on.

-Adam
Old 09-01-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

then Lutz is an Idiot stop making soulless cars and make something that stands out in a crowd, I about to switch to Ford if this **** doesnt quit!!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't like that

But atleast it looks better than the 2005 Roush Mustang that was released today

Zeta platform? Good. I for one am not happy that the current Goat is based on the same platform as the Cadallic Catera

-Todd
Old 09-01-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
then Lutz is an Idiot stop making soulless cars and make something that stands out in a crowd, I about to switch to Ford if this **** doesnt quit!!!!

Lutz also said that the GTO will be designed in Australia.

That is a crock of dung IMO. If it is gonna have the Pontiac GTO badge then it needs to be designed and built here with American muscle and know how and not some Ausi version.

Sorry..... Had to let off some steam.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by ActionJack

That is a crock of dung IMO. If it is gonna have the Pontiac GTO badge then it needs to be designed and built here with American muscle and know how and not some Ausi version.

Yea the GTO needs to be built and designed here.

Fun Fact: Theres more people that live in North Texas than live in Australia Total.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Ginger Hater

Yea, the new GTO is cool to say "Wow, A GTO" But its not a true Goat. Just an Aussie car with a different name stuck on it.....I garauntee if you look hard enough or peel a sticker off on it....you'll find the badge "Holden Manaro"
We'll have to wait for the auto shows to come rolling around again to see the new GTO.

And i don't know if i could go to Fjord. not a happy customer with them......but dodge i would consider or i'll just get a vette, when i get in the market for a NEW car.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Lutz didn't design the GTO. He did see a gap in the Pontiac line up and moved an existing car over here. I think the cars he has designed (like the Solstice and C6 Vette) have plenty of soul. GM is in better hands now than ever...unless you guys want to go back to the days of platform consolidation FWD everything Roger Smith
Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Lutz didn't design the GTO. He did see a gap in the Pontiac line up and moved an existing car over here. I think the cars he has designed (like the Solstice and C6 Vette) have plenty of soul. GM is in better hands now than ever...unless you guys want to go back to the days of platform consolidation FWD everything Roger Smith

Solstice is pretty cool in design. And the C6 has a badass powerplant.

I hope to see something better though. And, wasn't Lutz more popular with the retro? I know GM does not plan on the retro thing.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ActionJack

Uh huh, and the F-bodies have been shoddily built in Canada for how many years?

Sorry... just had to point out some irony.

I'd also like to say the Australians have a much better grasp on crafting muscle cars than the US has had for YEARS, it's crazy. They properly engineer the entire car, not just the engine, and assemble them much better. They also are treated to a huge variety to pick from, not just whale sized coupes with useless backseats and live truck axles in the back.

I'm glad GM is giving their Australian engineers the task of designing the Zeta for scratch for new global cars, they do a fantastic job of it and leave the US to worry about redoing trucks and SUVs, something we're good at.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Zeta is the derivitive of the Sigma (CTS-V) chassis that the next generation Camaro and GTO will ride on.
It's not derivative of anything. It's a completely clean sheet design being worked on now in Australia. The redesigned Holden Commodore will be the first GM car to utilize it.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Spazdout
Just an Aussie car with a different name stuck on it.....I garauntee if you look hard enough or peel a sticker off on it....you'll find the badge "Holden Manaro"
If you peeled away the badging on any of the old ones you'd find they were simply common Pontiac economy cars.

I'm glad GM didn't go that route for 2004. They chose the best coupe (and one of their best cars period) in their product arsenal to resurrect the name, and it does a damn fine job of it. Now they have their best RWD gurus responsible for the first one working on the next one, and this time it's being engineered to be a GTO as a well as a Monaro.

I'm sure it will distress you and ActionJack to know the man who styled the Monaro is now in charge of styling GM's North American product line up.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, but i know its a tradition on the GTO's, but the tack on the outside...ruined it
Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
It's not derivative of anything. It's a completely clean sheet design being worked on now in Australia. The redesigned Holden Commodore will be the first GM car to utilize it.
It's about as "clean sheet" as the C6 is over the C5. The Zeta uses much of the Sigma architecture but with a lower Firewall to allow a lower belt line. (And sleeker hood).

-Adam
Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hayze
Sorry, but i know its a tradition on the GTO's, but the tack on the outside...ruined it
no way man, that is exactly the types of things GM needs to do and go back to the roots of the GTO a bit more.

Quick Reply: 2007 GTO release info in Hot Rodding