Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Banging when spinning??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Banging when spinning??

I get a popping/banging noise coming from the back of the car when taking off fast (spinning). It all started yesterday when I washed my car. I was pulling out and it started banging when I was spinning in 1st. I shifted to 2nd and it did the same thing once I started spinning. Now on dry pavement I dump the clutch and leave 1 tire mark. Today it is raining so I get on it and it just feels weird. The back of the car kicks side to side, like as if the lsd is alternating slipping/locking. Is it probably the lsd or could it be something with the suspension? If it is the lsd, what are my options? $500-600 new lsd or $2000+ new stronger rearend? Also note that I am broke! Sorry so long. TIA
Old 09-02-2004, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Anybody???
Old 09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like your clutches in the rear end are burnt up...
Old 09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could possibly be wheel hop. Mine use to do that, then I got new tires.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

It is definitely not wheel hop. I'm not saying I don't have wheel hop; I only have it when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I don't have it from a stop. The clutches being burnt up makes since. I'm going to be going to a dyno day at Racetech Speed; I'll ask them what they think. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe it's your transmission mount...Whenever I get on it in 1st and shift to 2cnd hard the transmission mount makes my tranny bang the car...It sounds like it's under the back seat/console when it does it.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

I would have to say wheel hop too. once in while even w/ a TA LCAS whatever it still does it.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

I know its the clutches in the rear end...Its very commin on M6 cars because nothing is under a load before you do your burn out, then once u drop the clutch it will do it...I felt a vibration in my left rear at the track the other night...It was because of the clutches and my left rear wasnt spinning. Try changing your read end fluid if that does help then theres another solution. You can either rebuild the clutches for I believe somewhere arond $150, BUT on a hot set of tires after awhile it will just do it again. You can also of course put a 12 bolt or 9", but that is alot of $$$
Old 09-08-2004, 10:49 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tranny mount

i thought my differential was going out. its been giving me hell for a while. especially gasssing it while turning right. i would check the tranny mount if i was you. i changed mine today and my problem is completly fixed. takes 30 minutes to take the tranny mount off and check it. make sure you have the tranny supported when you do it though. i was having TERRIBLE BANGING and problems while spinning and even semi-hard acceleration. i was shopping around for complete rear ends when i thought to check the tranny mount. it was hanging on by a thread.

p.s. - you cannot buy a new one from an autoparts store, they will show they have it but its the wrong one. they will try to sell you the poly mount but ive read it vibrates badly. i had to order one from the dealership but it fixed all my problems for 75 bux

it may be somthing worse but it wouldnt hurt to check, might save you some dough.