Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help choosing next mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choosing next mod

ok, i am finally ready to soon do my next mod. so far all my mods are in my signature and i am still not sure where i should go next and thought may be you guys can give me a direction as to where to go. the mods that i still have left to do are crank pulley, gears (410 is what id like), ported tb , and tuning being what car really needs. i have been driving around with the tr 224/224 cam for about 10k miles and it does need tuning without a doubt. here is my dileman though: should i tune right now and is it possible to tell the tuners to set up my car for 4 10 gears even though i have 342s so that way when i do put them on my car will be already set up for it? is this possible? i know my speedo will be off if they do but i am not worried about that because in the end ill save about 125 for a retune. also, is there a need to retune after a a crank pulley install or even a ported tb??? i would like to get my car dyno tuned to see how much i gain, but i need to know from you guys if any of the mods listed need a retune of my vehicle after they are installed because if they are not then i am going to dyno tune this month.(thank god)
Old 09-02-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

any suggestions?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:03 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're lookin' for 400-420 rwhp,
Ported TB, Pulley, Budget Heads (Stage II 5.3L from PP, TEA, MTI or any of the new sponsors--->), 12 bolt with 4.10's.

If you're lookin' for more,
Same as above, but with a nice set of Stage 2.5 heads and a larger cam.
Or, a set of AFR's worked on by a head porter with your current cam.

Or, just slap on a bottle.

As for tuning, you need your setup all there and put together (gears installed already)for the tuner to do his job- tuning may be about af ratio, but I wold think that gearing affects the powerband. Hmm, that would be best for a tuner to answer. I'm just saying, do it right from the get go. Have the final package all put together, then tune it.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 09-02-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Swapping gears in the 10 bolt is just going to weaken an already weak component. If it were me I would finish up the bolt ons (tbody, pulley) before the dyno tune.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

i know 410s weaken the ten bolt but i think i am gonna lose a few tenths if i stay with stock gears???? i have to rev up to about 6600pm with stock 342s..and 410s would get me there much quicker..so you are saying stay with 342s?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Nope Im just saying if you plan on putting the car on the track alot you might want to wait and save up for a 12 bolt / 9 inch with the bigger gear.