Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T/A wing filling up with water?

Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry T/A wing filling up with water?

I wash my car and afterwards open the rear hatch and water comes flowing out of both front corners of the hatch. It drains right onto both rear speakers. Sometimes I can hear the water sloshing around inside the wing or the hatch (can't tell which since they both seem hollow) as I open it before it comes draining out. This car has been to the dealer 5 times since it was new and under warranty for this problem and it hasn't been resolved. The dealer has sealed the 3rd brake light, sealed all the studs that hold the spoiler on. Sealed the back glass. Also checked the seals as requested in one of the TSB's. I am going to remove the rear wing from the hatch this weekend and reseal everything myself. Anybody have any tips on what else to look for while I have it off?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem on my 98 TA... someone post a fix
Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

SAME HERe!!!! Only when i wash my car tho it all come seeping out...Is this common
Old 09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

it happened to me when i had my 96 ta....i never tried to fix it though. when you take the wing off, why dont you will it with that foam stuff? i know thats vague, but they sell it at hardware stores. you spray it on a gap in a wall or something, and it slowly expands and hardens. my friend had a 95 Z, and his 3rd brake light would rattle or something when his bass hit, so we just filled it up with that stuff. ive used it in household apps, and it seemed to seal well...and its extremely light, so it wont weigh it down, just fill it most of the way up, and itll expand. just becareful about gettin it on your hands if you do use it, its a bitch to get off. if it gets anywhere else, ie on the car, sand it off.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the idea 99Formula, I know the stuff you are talking about and have used it before. I'll pick up a can of it just in case.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the same thing happening. I just always assumed that it was water that was in the channel between the glass and the hatch.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

You're right 01 Red WS6, some of it probably is coming from the channel. But I can sometimes hear water sloshing around inside the wing/hatch and then come draining out when I open the hatch. Not good.

Search this Thread