Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Post in LS1 Newbie Section reminded me of an old kill

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Post in LS1 Newbie Section reminded me of an old kill

There was a story in the New LS1 Enthisuest section.. "The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol" Sorted reminded me of my only real DSM encounter.

This story is from a few summers ago.. I had mods in sig, minus cam/headers and free mods. (so stock cam, stock manifolds and piddly *** bolt ons. )

A friend of mine (Brad) bought a 99 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GST (Fwd Turbo DSM). Now Brad doesn't talk ****. He had a Z71 Truck so he wasn't sure what his car could do but he thought it was quick. Unfortunately his friends ran their mouths for him, they claimed since they had ridden in it, that is was faster than my car. Since Brad wasnt running his mouth, I didnt see any reason to crush my friends new car experience and just left him to enjoy it. Brad was more of a country boy than anyone thought and after two weeks of watching him drive around, top down, listening to country music, he finally decided to get his truck back. Funny how that works.

About 2 weeks later I ran acrossed Brads car again. I had heard he sold it to J. R. (Not JR... two seperate letters) , well J.R. also owned an N/T model and had rims, carbon fiber hood, exhaust etc. So driving a Turbo model must have been a huge step up for him. I was driving down 2nd st. and saw him waiting to turn into Pizza Hut. I had heard he was going to mod it and was curious to see how well it ran and what he did. So while he was sitting there waiting for his turn, I took off my ASR... Signalled and dropped to 2nd at about 40mph and switched lanes, drifting After sliding perfectly from the outside lane to the inside lane and was straightened out, I looked in the rearview mirror and he had cancelled his signal and was trying to catch up to me. So I pulled over and waited for him to turn in. He had his GF in the car and I guess she was pretty impressed and commented about "how ******* unbelievable that was" So he of course he wanted to show her that I was slow, to redeem himself I guess. We talked for a few mins and he said he had the rims, CAI, Exhaust, carbon fiber hood, and he was waiting for his boost controller to come in (he had it on order). After we had talked for a little while we went out to the light ahead of us and lined up. There was no traffic at all so we just stayed when the light turned green... and I told him to go (was feeling a little bit cocky since I had an idea of what would happen.) He launched from what sounded like somewhere in mid rpms..resulting in some tire spin... so I waited till he cleared the intersection (I knew I would hook.. about 90 degree day on 2 month old RE730s) I nailed it right after he cleared the intersection and passed him up before the end of the block.. I shut down at around 75mph (end of my 2nd gear) with about 3 car lengths. We then pulled over and chatted some more.. he gave probs and was shocked at how bad he lost. I gave him props for being cool, and I told him to look me up when he got his Boost Controller in. Then we parted ways.

Never did see the car again, head the guy got both his gf and another GF pregnant at the same time. I imagine the car ended up sold/repoed, dont know what really happened.

Just thought I would share.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill I have a friend that has a Talon turbo but he's not as fond of the car as he used to be. I tried talking him into doing some mods but he just wants to toss the thing. He said he's tired of messing with it and wants a bike. Which isn't as much fun for me because there are a million bikes in town to race there are only a few turbo talons.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah they can be built. Another friend Kyle, has a badass Talon TSI... engine work, bigger turbo, yada yada (dont know the full details).. He can drive down the road doing 50 and just lay into the gas and light the tires! LOL Bad thing is he doesnt get any traction. I want to run him from a high roll and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my friends had a 98 GSX AWD Turbo Eclipse. Supposedly these are kinda rare. But anyways that car was pretty fast. he had a front mount intercooler and a blow off valve. He would let me drive it all the time I have to say it was a fun car especially to launch. You could turn it 7000rpm and dump the clutch and it would just take off. Pretty cool.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
There was a story in the New LS1 Enthisuest section.. "The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol" Sorted reminded me of my only real DSM encounter.
That thread is HILERIOUS! It is also very long. Good kill dude!
Quick question, what are the specs on your cam there?

-Todd