Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

making my own ds loop, need opinions/ideas

Old 09-03-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default making my own ds loop, need opinions/ideas

i need one in a bad way and i have very little space to work with so ive decided to make my own.

from what ive looked at on my car and how much space i have the best plan i think would be to have it come off the tranny crossmember similar to this

im planning on building a bracket that bolts to the two holes on the back of the crossmember seen here

and welding a bar from that bracket to a 3.5" ID steel ring around the ds about 3" behind the weld

no a couple questions. the ds OD is 3", how much does a ds move during launch, shifts, accel, deccel, etc. i want to keep everything as compact as possible so i would like to use a 3.5" ID steel ring but i want to make sure it wont hit. remember since the loop will be mounted to the crossmember it will not move.

also do you think a 3/8-1/2" bar welded to the bracket and the loop will be strong enough if the ds breaks

any input is appreciated
Old 09-04-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my own. As I recall I had only 1/2" clearance around the shaft on all sides at ride height, and it never touched the driveshaft while driving. I got a piece of tubing, and then welded braces to the inside of the trans tunnel.

Search this Thread