Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Combos

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Combos

Wat do most of you LS1 guys like and what works the best..Im gunna be getting my hands on a pontiac in the next week or so M6 and i have a 9 inch sitting here waiting for it already,I just dont know what combo I wanna go with so I have a couple options or thoughts on it...
Im gunna keep exhaust stock except for tips and electric cut-outs and Long Tubes...

I either wanna do a 355 with some heavy compression and spray it...
Run a 355 with 8:1 and eventually boost it with a procharger..
Or run a 383 with heavy compression n/a or nitrous...

With any of these I will have fully ported and polished ls6 heads and intake,I will have a callies crank,scat rods and diamond pistons..Ill be running a custom lazer cam which size is not determined yet bc I dont know what Im doing.
Im used to building carb motors,so I really have no clue what to expect from it..Anyone with similiar combos gimme some HP hints or #'s anyone..Sorry soo long just wanna get the point across!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several options, and the LS1 is certainly different than an old school SBC from an assembly stand point.

One of the more popular options people are using is taking the 6.0L iron truck block and building a 408ci engine. Our APE 408ci engines make over 590hp-550ft/lbs on pump gas N/A.

Do you have an ET goal in mind? It sounds like you have a collection of parts coming together, or at least an idea of who you would like to use for parts.

Feel free to PM me or call the shop and I would be more than happy to discuss different combos with you, so we can get you heading down the right path.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bang for the buck I think the 408 is a GREAT choice

Eagle crank and rods with diamond pistons will be very reliable and is cost effective.

If the weight of the ironblock is a concern and you want an even more budget buildup (but still very good) is a stroker 383-385.

One advantage of the stroker only setup (besides lighter weight) is that there is a little less work involved with the head porting side of things. (As far as combustion chamber volume matching for the bigger bore. Unless you go with 6L heads of course and a domed piston in the 408)

For all out power the 408 will win with about 20RWHP and similar torque advantage over the 383. You will also get better drivability for a given cam size.

A 12:1 408 with a great set of 6L heads is hard to beat imo and is VERY cost effective. An added bonus is not having to worry about dropping sleeves etc.

Also the added weight is very easy to deal with as well.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I didnt know what to expect really,my buddie has a 6.0l in his hawk and I was thinking about that too,but If i would get the 6.0l block I would probably end up stroking that out too and punchin it .030 over...

Et goal n/a I want about a real low 11,or a high 10, on a small kit I want a low 10...